PDA

Voir la version complète : Help with modeling in Hex 2

freshly
23/11/2006, 02h49
Hi all,

Pretty new to modeling in 3d.

I am modeling this star shape and I can't seem to get a smooth surface
because when I export into Carrara and ad texture I see destortions in the model. I am assuming that my normals are not correct that but I still get no results basically i need help I will attach a screen shot and my Hex file

Please Help me:blush2:

Thanks in Advance

LoneGunman
23/11/2006, 03h37
I uninstalled hex the other day, so I cannot check it out, but by the looks of it, it seems that huge n-gons are there, try to tesselate your model before export :)

I would rather modeled badge starting with 6 sided cylinder, but, that's just me :hi:

freshly
23/11/2006, 03h40
what kind of tesselate do I use?

jbshorty
23/11/2006, 03h45
Hi. I don't think it's a problem cause by normals. It seems you modeled this by making a planar curve, then extruding, then capping (closing) the holes on the front and back faces. when you do that, the result is a giant n-gon for the front and back faces. all programs must reduce that big n-gon into triangles to be displayed and/or rendered. And i'll bet the triangle facets of the display mesh are probably very long and thin (they may be overlapping each other). And that might be causing the problem in your render... To get a nice clean result, the face must be tesselated manually (or semi-manually). this means creating edge loops to break up those n-gons, and then you must weld points until you've collapsed this n-gon into an orderly flow of quads and tris. It's like modeling a tree starting from the branches, and merging them into each other until you have one smooth tree trunk... I hope that helps...

jonah

freshly
23/11/2006, 03h49
Thanks, I am quiet new to this could you maybe show me an example of
this, if you could, if I could see it I will understand it more

Thanks again!

freshly
23/11/2006, 04h30
So I have tried to do what you suggested here is what it looks like...

http://www.sbdesigns.ca/Untitled2.jpg

and here is the star in Carrara with the texture...

http://www.sbdesigns.ca/Untitled3.jpg

I actually get worse results in Carrara then before.
Before there was only slightly distorted, I must be doing so many things wrong, I have been struggling with this for some time there are no good tuts out there for explaining how to do such things.

Any help is much appreciated!!

jbshorty
23/11/2006, 05h02
i would like to help you by explaining in more detail. But i am racing to get home to pack for vacation early tomorrow morning (10 days away from the computer :shiny: )... So i really have to go. But I am sure someone else here will guide you through it...

jonah

freshly
23/11/2006, 05h19
Thanks!

To anyone else help!!!

LoneGunman
23/11/2006, 05h31
Here is quick "doodle" on the same theme I did in Silo (zipped OBJ file).

You can import it in Hex and see how it looks like, hope that can help some...:hi:

bwtr
23/11/2006, 05h38
In Hex, draw a circle with 12 points. Shift/Click to sellect the alternate 6 points. Draw them in via the yellow square in the centre of the manipulator.

freshly
23/11/2006, 05h39
Thanks thats cool, so I can accomplish this in Hex as well?

I will do my best to mimic that!

Are there any tuts out there that I could look into to understand this properly!

Thanks again!!!

LoneGunman
23/11/2006, 05h56
Sure they are, you have to look for basic tutorials and start with more simple shapes (like this badge), jumping straight to modeling digital camera, for example, is rushing it.

Not aware that there are very basic hex tutorials available for free (they might be), but I know that there are some included with hex itself. Basicly, almost all general purpose subdivision modeling tools based tutorials can be replicated in Hex, or Silo or whatever you want to use. There is plenty tutorials for Wings3D which can be used as well. You just have to study a bit main tools in he and how they relate to the tools in other apps. Good luck ! :hi:

freshly
23/11/2006, 06h08
Thanks for your help.

I have looked thru the many tuts
but they all start off with shapes
non of them actually build a shape like this.

anyways I will keep looking
and thanks again

Peace

bwtr
23/11/2006, 06h59
Not happy with doing in Hex. It was far, far simpler to do directly in the Carrrara Vertex room(Using the method I suggested for Hex earlier)