PDA

Voir la version complète : Have you switched render software?

Grendel
18/09/2006, 03h38
In light of Eovia's demise I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us have started using other software for our rendering needs.

LoneGunman
18/09/2006, 05h00
Just switched to Vue5Infinite 2 days ago, looks promising, curious why did you not listed it there as well, it's farely popular app :hi:

Grendel
18/09/2006, 05h21
I did'nt want to list every possibility, I figured if people chose an "other" they would reply to the thread as you have done

Sketchy
18/09/2006, 06h13
I'm still in the process of trying to match your modeling skills, guys.:shiny: Therefore, rendering is not yet my main concern at the moment.

If ever, I'd look at Vray via TrueSpace latest version through the upgrade path from 6.6, which I purchased a year ago. I'm not sure. (I never liked TS's UI.) I also have Vue4E and will look at the latest Vue line.:hi:

medeamajic
18/09/2006, 06h22
I will not switch until I see what Carrara 6 has to offer. Carrara and Hexagon may continue to mature but I admit the Daz buy out has me looking at XSI.

steama
18/09/2006, 06h39
I will not switch until I see what Carrara 6 has to offer. Carrara and Hexagon may continue to mature but I admit the Daz buy out has me looking at XSI.
I am going to wait too.

jbshorty
18/09/2006, 06h52
i bought C5Pro just days before the announcement of DAZ's acquisition (at a great price, i couldn't miss it). I am happy with C5P, and i feel confident that C6 will be solid. But i do most of my model work in Rhino, and there are render engines now available from Brazil, POVRay, and Maxwell so i am considering one of them if C6 does not deliver the goods. For now, i wait...

Pete Exxtreme
18/09/2006, 08h11
I've switched (completely) to lightwave9 :)...well i'm on my way to do so in fact , because i've almost everything to learn now :w00t:

medeamajic
18/09/2006, 08h18
What do you like most about Lightwave?

Piem
18/09/2006, 08h21
I own now a Maxwell Render1.1 full licence
But I'll keep Carrara for fast renders..not necessarily top realistics, If it worth, I'll update next time.
In fact, I'm learning Maxwell materials.
But I'm glad :)

Pete Exxtreme
18/09/2006, 08h35
What do you like most about Lightwave?
First i have to say that i"ve switched because i do NOT trust DAZ3D for the future becuase the way they act. If Eovia had carry on, i would not have switched as i'm (i was !) a long time user of their products.

That said, i'm too new to Lightwave to do a comparison, but i've switched to lightwave because there are :
- lots of references in professional world
- lots of tutorials (free or commercials, and i'm waiting now from my ordered DVDs to be shipped)
- complete serious package (modeling/rendering/animations : i try to avoid a "best of breed" approach if i can)
- good advice from some LW users i've talked to
- strong community
- aggressive price (Carrara/amapi pro) allows you to benefit from the Companion upgrade ($495.00 with PDf manuals)
- not seduced by Modo, C4D, Maya etc...

For me it's a reasonnable choice regrading my expectations :) :hi:

fabster
18/09/2006, 09h11
I'm still in a "wait and see" phase... but I have to admit I'm having a look at XSI and Lightwave... and waiting for Pete Exxtreme to post some work with LW9...lol

diego1968
18/09/2006, 20h03
I'm working a bit with Blender and Yafray and POV

I don't want to spend money anymore for a 3D application, I wait until Carrara6 and i will see !
If Carrara is not good enough for what 'im expecting of a 3D app, i 'll stick with Blender !

-ash-
18/09/2006, 20h47
I'm staying with Carrara for the time being. As it is the same dev team I'm fairly confident that C6 will be good.

On top of that, I bought Carrara because it was great value for money and had the feature set I was looking for. I don't really do animation so the animation power of these other apps is not really what I need. plus, that power comes at a price. Carrara still fills my, mostly illustration, needs.

After C6, well who knows :shiny:

By the way, Grendel - you've missed the 'I'm not switching' choice from the poll.

Grendel
18/09/2006, 21h30
I've added the "I'll go down with the ship" option, just kidding(no realy) just kidding.hahaha

Piem
18/09/2006, 21h45
You can Add also..I have an other render engine but I keep my (dear) Carrara :)
because that's my case ;)

I don't forget that Carrara got some good features

-ash-
18/09/2006, 21h49
I've added the "I'll go down with the ship" option, just kidding(no realy) just kidding.hahaha
:sp2:

:shiny:

Pete Exxtreme
18/09/2006, 21h50
Hurray for the Cap'tain ! :w00t: :w00t:

Grendel
18/09/2006, 21h56
I continue to use Carrara for fast renders that look good. At this point I can get a good render easily and quickly from Carrara and it's shader tree. But I have started with XSI as there are a few things that bother me, transmissions of light, blur's with Carrara's renderer.

Sketchy
18/09/2006, 21h57
Frankly, I don't really have any pressing need to switch from what I currently have right now. My biggest issue is what project to tackle. Will I do a CG interpretation of Monalisa or a detailed Battleship Galactica.:shiny: I'm trying to master a lot of things and end up mastering nothing.:shiny: To me, if you're only after still pictures, C5's renderer is all you really need. Even then I haven't spent a lot of time using it. In the back of my mind if I ever do some serious illustration work, it's there for me to utilize. There's really no magic button. It's a matter of endless tweaking and experimentation. Even if there is, I probably won't feel the same sense of satisfation.

Check this out folks: http://www.zaon.com/company/articles/3d_rendering.php

micaelito
18/09/2006, 22h25
I'll keep my C5.
It has all i need for my illustrations.
Simple to use and has a quick and good render.
Voila les gars :)

jbshorty
18/09/2006, 23h14
sketchy, that is an interesting article. But i think they forgot to mention DAZ Studio lol... I always forget that Rhino has a plug-in for Renderman. Maybe i'm programmed to forget things which are out of my budget...

Grendel
19/09/2006, 01h00
Sketchy - that is a great thread, very informative.

medeamajic
19/09/2006, 10h54
First i have to say that i"ve switched because i do NOT trust DAZ3D for the future becuase the way they act. If Eovia had carry on, i would not have switched as i'm (i was !) a long time user of their products.

For me it's a reasonnable choice regrading my expectations :) :hi:

I do not like what I see at Daz but I will stick with Carrara for now (I use Carrara and Hexagon). If I do not see Carrara 6 by March of next year then I will probably opt for something else.

Perhaps Carrara 6 will make you switch back.

Davidoff
19/09/2006, 11h34
I'll continue to use Carrara,
I'm using it since the begining and i have no time and no money to change my softwares every year :p
I like the rendering of Maxwell but it is very expensive
(900 euros)
:hi:

sailor-ed
19/09/2006, 19h10
I studied TrueSpace 7 but I could not adapt to the interface. It had many features I liked but I had to give up in the end. I will say that their customer support and suppot policies were top notch and deserve mention somewhere. They went out of their way to help me. It was refreshing!

So for now I am sticking with C5Pro.

Nichod
19/09/2006, 22h11
I'm probally ADDING Messiah to my toolset. But will also retain a copy of Carrara. :w00t:

Grendel
19/09/2006, 22h41
Let me know how you like Messiah, I was very close to picking it up before I went with XSI.

Piem
19/09/2006, 22h45
I'm thinking about Shade also ^^
I've seen impressives shots
But I have to open, at least my 7.1 version..I'm really short in time by these days

Locki
19/09/2006, 23h32
I just bought standard Shade 8 in french, figuring I'll understand a bit easier how I can use it and forgetting it is now included within Amapi distributions ... and ... well ... ahem ... gloups ... it's not something you shall master in few hours.

Sketchy
20/09/2006, 06h38
sketchy, that is an interesting article. But i think they forgot to mention DAZ Studio lol... I always forget that Rhino has a plug-in for Renderman. Maybe i'm programmed to forget things which are out of my budget...
Sketchy - that is a great thread, very informative. I'm glad you found it useful. :shiny:Seems that if you're not satisfied with your renderer, Mental Ray is the way to go if you want something deeper. Seems it's the cheapest route by way of the Softimage purchase. The other highend ones are too expensive to even consider even as standalones. XSI definitely is a good buy if you have the money, not to mention the time and mental capacity to break the complex UI. The other one is TrueSpace 7 to get VRAY at a discounted price. The UI is just as complex. But then it's really all a matter of personal preference.:hi:

Who knows, Carrara 6 may well be the next leader. I can wait.

graphinc
20/09/2006, 10h51
I'm switching to Blender for some illustrations and for animations and I'll use also Shade and maxwell for objects and architecture renderings and some illustrations. So I guess I'll have completly leaved Carrara in some time (except if I'm surprised by the Daz released but it must be a BIG suprise)

sailor-ed
21/09/2006, 15h42
Addendum

Thought I would add one other reason why I am sticking with C5.... the wide variety of high quality inexpensive plugins available. To me these developers are the lifeblood of Carrara.

Pete Exxtreme
21/09/2006, 15h51
agreed : Without DCG plugs it would have been a real pain to do my former Carrara scenes :)

-ash-
21/09/2006, 19h32
Addendum

Thought I would add one other reason why I am sticking with C5.... the wide variety of high quality inexpensive plugins available. To me these developers are the lifeblood of Carrara.

Yes, this is another reason I'm sticking to Carrara. Keep up the good work guys.

sadot
21/09/2006, 22h02
I use carrara for personal/freelance use, at work i use lightwave
I use blender too

shannonhoppe
22/09/2006, 00h56
Not "switching" exactly. I already had purchased Lightwave back when they offerd the combo deal with Vue 5 Infinite. However, I had/have a hard time wrapping my head around Lightwave. When Daz offered the deal on Carrara and Transposer for Poser owners, I jumped on it. I'll definitly continue to use Carrara/Hex and plan on upgrading to C5Pro as soon as the funds allow. Newtek's free upgrades thru the v9 cycle for those who purchsed in v8.5 or higher will keep me lookin' at LW for some time to come too. Due to circumstances I guess I'm waiting just like a lot of folks to see what C6 brings as well as the continued development on LW9.

Nichod
23/09/2006, 23h32
Let me know how you like Messiah, I was very close to picking it up before I went with XSI.

So far I'm very impressed with messiah. I'm impressed with its rendering quality:

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/images/gallery/misc/Vespa_render2.jpg

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/images/gallery/misc/CoralSealHorses.jpg

Its rendering engine is a variant of the Arnold Global Illumination Rendering engine. Which was one of the first quasi Monte-Carlo rendering engines. Messiah's rendering engine is FAST compared to the modern Monte-Carlo renderers that are available. And the renders are soft and high quality.

The shader node structure is flexible and able to achieve a variety of results with ease. I found it much more pleasant to work with than XSI's shader nodes.

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/images/mask_render_shaderflow_7.jpg

And I can't tell you how amazing its rigging system is. You can easily create a complex character rig setup in a few hours. Something that could take a day or two in XSI, MAYA, etc. And is nearly impossible to do in Carrara.

Check out this rigging video: http://www.projectmessiah.com/~taron/Clips/simple_bone_setup_for_head.mov

Some negatives:

A lot of things feel incomplete. The shading system feels like it could use a few more node presets. The particles that have just been rewritten need a narrowed down and focused interface, as well as a more improved realtime display. There are still a few glitches and such with the interface. Especially if you have an ATI video card. I have to force 16 bit buffer in my video card settings to run Messiah. Though I have a better workaround in mind that might fix things better.

Some positives:

A friendly community that really wants to see Messiah grow and definetly pushes messiah to the limits. Active development cycles. About every 6 months or so you'll see a free patch or update. The latest update was a complete rewrite of particles that added a FAST rendering advanced volumetric particle system. By advanced I mean you can control the particles with expressions or expression based vortexes (forces). There were a few other things as well. My main gripe is the ATI issue.

Interesting info (negative to some):

Because messiah isn't developed by a big company its a mom and pop type setup. The developers will suddenly disappear for a time and not communicate within the community forums. Usually this means they are hard at work programming an update or a patch. Then they'll pop back in for a month or so and show off the new stuff. The developers work other jobs as well, so its like you are using their in-house software. And as such, its almost like you are employees. If you have a problem, just email them, and if they have too they'll stay up all night programming a fix or a new feature to get the job done. Then everyone will get the feature in the next update.

I'll do up a detailed review soon. Pnoland of subdivisionmodeling.com is also working on a review. All in all I'd say if you don't want the complexity of XSI, but want much of the power, then go with Messiah to animate.

medeamajic
24/09/2006, 05h21
The images look impressive. I am guessing you did not model or render them because of the 2003 and 2004 copyright.

Sketchy
24/09/2006, 07h08
So far I'm very impressed with messiah. I'm impressed with its rendering quality....Its rendering engine is a variant of the Arnold Global Illumination Rendering engine. Which was one of the first quasi Monte-Carlo rendering engines. Messiah's rendering engine is FAST compared to the modern Monte-Carlo renderers that are available. And the renders are soft and high quality.
Nice, brief, but informative review, Nichod. That's the kind of description I'd like to have in a rendering engine: speed, soft and high quality. Speed is of particular importance to me. I can't possibly work with one that keeps you waiting for hours just for test renders. IMHO, they're supposed to be fast especially when doing still images.
As to the animation part, it seems capable of doing fairly complex jobs comparable to highend ones. It certainly is a good choice if you already have enough modeling tools in your arsenal. It keeps the UI from unnecessary clutter and complexity.

Nichod
24/09/2006, 14h26
Nice, brief, but informative review, Nichod. That's the kind of description I'd like to have in a rendering engine: speed, soft and high quality. Speed is of particular importance to me. I can't possibly work with one that keeps you waiting for hours just for test renders. IMHO, they're supposed to be fast especially when doing still images.
As to the animation part, it seems capable of doing fairly complex jobs comparable to highend ones. It certainly is a good choice if you already have enough modeling tools in your arsenal. It keeps the UI from unnecessary clutter and complexity.

Thanks. I hope it helps others if they are investigating Messiah.

Odessey
28/09/2006, 05h22
Couldn't be happier with C-4D 9.6 studio bundle all the bells and whistles , not as hard of a learning curve that i thought there would be i love the way you can lay texture in this app nice clean renders , but that doesn't mean i will stop using Carrara .

Grendel
28/09/2006, 14h53
I use Cinema4d as well but have stopped upgrading due to the cost of the bundle. I really think Advanced Render should be inlcuded at no cost.

LoneGunman
28/09/2006, 20h29
Cinema4D is a wonderful software, I have a freebie version from the magazine.

I wish I could afford full aplication (with advanced renderer, cloth sim and hair). If they ever decide to sell ALL of it for less then $1000, I'll be the first one to buy it :hi:

Nichod
29/09/2006, 19h31
I use Cinema4d as well but have stopped upgrading due to the cost of the bundle. I really think Advanced Render should be inlcuded at no cost.

That and MOCCA.

rtfrog
29/09/2006, 21h09
I have been using Vue to Render my models after I have made them in Amapi.

Patrick210
30/09/2006, 17h16
I'm not sure why it makes much difference with Carrara since the same developers are still working on it. Carrara 5 Pro, with all the plugins, is very capable as it is, especially for stills. I think it's premature to give up on Carrara, at least until the next version is available for testing. Hexagon is another story, I just wish they could have fixed the seam issue by now, that's really my only problem with it.

Couerl
01/10/2006, 01h34
I think even if it turns out to be a complete Dazaster, I'll stick with C5/6... You'll see me on the twisted burning hulk of the bridge with my right arm blown off calmly smoking a Cubana while my polys sink gently beneath the waves.
I think Carrara has a few more versions before it needs a complete rewrite and I've been very pleased with its progress since C2/3.

Hex2-3 is another matter and we'll be lucky to see it hit dry-dock for repairs by next year and that's a damn shame because it is so forward looking. If I were boss for the day, I'd send Charles off to MIT in a shiny new BMW with a briefcase full of recruiting dough and throw whatever other dead weight I could find overboard. Ultimately it's the software which speaks for your company and not a bunch of bubble gum chewers. Anyway, I'll focus on modeling and rendering is secondary to me anyway. I may just go to Rhino4 or Amapi-Pro8... We'll see how that all goes by next year maybe. I like what both of the former Eovia Dev teams have accomplished, US/French, bugs and all and I admire their dedication, work ethic and skill and will always look to support them as long as they are around.

Sketchy
01/10/2006, 21h59
When some people are not happy with their current renderers, I take it to mean it's not realistic enough. (I'm referrring to still images.) Personally, I'm really not much into too much realism, even in areas like industrial/mechanical visualisation or Architecture (which, I think, SketchUp-style rendering is enough). That's the kind of client I'd prefer, anyway. Take it or leave it. It's my art, not yours.:shiny: So, Carrara 5's renderer is enough for me. I'd assume it will even get better in the next version. I started with C5 and I'm happy with its renderer's speed almost as fast as my other app, Blender's internal. My kind of workflow requires a lot of render testing, without even completing each render output. Then another test, then another, then another... I definitely would not want one that takes hours for a simple scene like the new renderers they advertise these days. Even if it produces the kind of realism you want.

Piem
01/10/2006, 22h23
My kind of workflow requires a lot of render testing, without even completing each render output. Then another test, then another, then another... I definitely would not want one that takes hours for a simple scene like the new renderers they advertise these days. Naaa.lol

Well said (hoppefully, Maxwell Render (mr sand-man) is not the only one :p in my toy's garden..

Carrara is even the opposite. Time is so precious.

Nichod
04/10/2006, 15h05
Just want to point out to all who might have motionbuilder. If you want messiah you can buy it for a wonderful $219.

Nichod
04/10/2006, 15h06
What did the 10 other go too?

-ash-
04/10/2006, 22h03
Have you noticed that, according to the main page, polyloop has 5,849 members. Yet only 37 people have voted. Even if not all of the members that registered are still visiting that is still a very small number!

Where is everyone?

:unsure:

Piem
04/10/2006, 22h12
you might ask Thomas to mail the poll
?

Pete Exxtreme
04/10/2006, 22h16
I already made some polls months ago and i was badly surprized on the ratio between the number of visitors of the thread and the number of people who did vote...

Couerl
04/10/2006, 22h17
Where is everyone?

:unsure:

Still trying to figure out how to print the movies from the pdf's into a book. lol

-ash-
04/10/2006, 22h22
Still trying to figure out how to print the movies from the pdf's into a book. lol

One frame at a time lol

Pete Exxtreme
04/10/2006, 22h26

Yes and that's a tough job : that's the undeniable proof that this soft is bugged to death :w00t:

2Mylent
06/10/2006, 12h51
Pack:

Hexagon 2.1 (mod) :flower:
Poser 6 SR3 animation personnages (animation characters) :flower: :flower:
Vue 5 Infinite (rendu/animation) :wub:
En attente de (On standby of ) Vue 6 Infinite lol

Locki
06/10/2006, 13h54
What did the 10 other go too?

hesitating a lot : I can't make my mind between
- lightwave (an all in one studio ... but I'm a bit frightened by the future evolutions ... well ... hum ... let's rather say : lack of evolution). expensive
- C4D (the basic studio is expensive but affordable ... but everything is a module option, so if you want hair, mocca, toon rendering ... it becomes a very expensive solution)
- shade : cheap in the standard version ... but very hard to get into. I'd like to wait a bit before making my mind about it.
- Modo : this one is a very promising challenger to LW and C4D, just hoping animation will be integrated into it. I'd like to go for it but it's as expensive as LW and C4D.

The others are clearly not for me (3DS, XSI, Maya ...) because I'm just a hobbyist.
So I guess I'll still be sticked for a while to Carrara before changing :)

Marc
06/10/2006, 14h21
I am working with Carrara because i am creating some pictures with this software : "Faunesse", "Circée et les cochons" and differentes ideas with "Quadrangulator"…

I believe, in the present time, that the other softwares are not very interesting in comparison with carrara: too much expensive, too difficult and also too old and too bad design for the amateur or the independent artist...

But, I am waiting new softwares with new way of creating...

rickei
06/10/2006, 17h28
I doubt I'll move over to anything. I am a casual user and ONLY do still rendering's. I really have no interest in, animation. My first 3d software purchase was Ray Dream Designer(before RD studio)... I still have the box and the original installer( on 4 floppy disks)
I have purchased upgrades every 4 years or so, and now I'm up to C5. The only thing I would need is a better modeler. As far as rendering, i am perfectly happy with C5, I've got HDRI, SSS, volumetrics, and plenty of other tools for great still renders in C5. Plus 99.999% of the time I will do fairly heavy post work in Photoshop.
Ray Dream/Carrara, has gone through several owners over the years, and has been fine. If Daz brings it to a end, then shame on them. But even then I would continue to use the software, until it would not run on whatever version of OS I'm on at the time. I'm not looking for a career in 3d, so it really doesn't matter what i use.

I have one other reason for staying with C5... Mac's.
I only have Mac's, and as a matter of fact, I have NEVER owned or used a Windows PC, and I probably never will. My first computer was an apple IIc in 1984, and I now have G5 Intel Mac. I'm getting too old to start switching over to something else.

rickei

mon_stdnt
06/10/2006, 19h03
I'm staying with Carrara until they stop making another one. Is the only 3d program I know and like, besides Hex, which is awesome.
If they do stop making it, then I'll look another for another 3d package thats near my income range.:happy:

marcus_civis
07/10/2006, 11h30
I'm staying with Carrara for the moment but largely because of lack of funds. I'm planning on moving to XSI. I shall probably keep Carrara for certain projects (and until I am up to speed with XSI) but I'm keen to move to an app that has a profile at the higher end of the industry.

Nichod
08/10/2006, 00h33
hesitating a lot : I can't make my mind between
- lightwave (an all in one studio ... but I'm a bit frightened by the future evolutions ... well ... hum ... let's rather say : lack of evolution). expensive
- C4D (the basic studio is expensive but affordable ... but everything is a module option, so if you want hair, mocca, toon rendering ... it becomes a very expensive solution)
- shade : cheap in the standard version ... but very hard to get into. I'd like to wait a bit before making my mind about it.
- Modo : this one is a very promising challenger to LW and C4D, just hoping animation will be integrated into it. I'd like to go for it but it's as expensive as LW and C4D.

The others are clearly not for me (3DS, XSI, Maya ...) because I'm just a hobbyist.
So I guess I'll still be sticked for a while to Carrara before changing :)

Lightwave is still an innovator in some areas and has probally the best plugin developing community in existence. (ie. PointOven, Fprime, PIM, etc) And the development is suppose to push all the way through in free point releases until 10. And they say that CA is going to be one of its big focuses. Really as far as modeling, etc goes they are pretty good. But the workflow may bother some. Lots of dialog boxes and tools tucked away in odd places.

C4D looks much more promising with R10. Including Bodypaint in the core is a GREAT deal. And the studio package now includes hair. Personally I didn't like the default workflow of the app, and the price is beyond me.

Shade was perhaps is perhaps the worst application I've demoed. Crashed the first time I tried it. When I tested the new version at least it didn't do that. Though its workflow is very different from anything out there and its hard to get into.

Modo is another one of those applications with a lot of promise. But keep in mind that its pretty buggy on a lot of systems. Just browse through the luxology product support forum to see what I mean. Plus, on many good setups it runs slow. I was planning on purchasing it rather than silo 1.4/2 and upon seriously demoing it, I found it useless at a reasonable high poly count. I don't experience this with Silo and not even with Hexagon.

I would again recommend Messiah to many. Especially if you have Hexagon, Zbrush or Silo 2. Its a character animators tool. And its perhaps the fastest displacement renderer that I've seen. Plus its fast using Monte Carlo rendering.

Nichod
08/10/2006, 00h35
I do recommend keeping and using Carrara. Most artists have a variety of tools to get the job done. Even if I don't like Hexagon as my general purpose modeler, if I want to create certain things, its just is the best tool for the job. And you can't beat Carrara for Matte creation.

HowieFarkes
10/10/2006, 08h50
I started using Infini-D (co-ancestor along with Raydream of Carrara) back at version 3.5 in 1996 when it was owned by Specular. Since then it has been owned by MetaTools, MetaCreations, then dropped in favour of Carrara v1.0 which has also now been owned by a number of different companies. At any stage I guess I could have jumped ship but for what? The software still works, is still being developed and still has a future. At this stage there are no compelling reasons to drop Carrara for something else as the cost of a) new software and b) learning new software don’t outweigh any imagined negatives of the Daz buy-out.

moonshot
10/10/2006, 22h45
I switched completely to XSI. I'm selling my Carrara 5 Pro and Hexagon 2, both originally purchased from eovia. Anybody interested can contact me per private message.

I'm keeping my second hexagon copy from DAZ. In case they get it fixed good, I may re-use it for displacement painting. Otherwise I'll move on to ZBrush.

micaelito
10/10/2006, 23h06
Hummm, for the moment, Carrara 5 , with 53,23% seems to be the solution.

Hey Nichod, as a beta tester could you tell us more about Carrara 6 ?

I you can't, we will understand and wait...

Nate Owens
14/10/2006, 04h51
Because of the racket I'm in (and have been for a long time - before dirt was made** :p ) illustrating for print.... Carrara 5 pro seems to be adequate for these projects so far.

One relatively simple feature I like about Carrara is the render preview window, it is essential for print to have exact proportions for output and this seems to be the simplest answer I have seen to this.

I have been using the program since Ray Dream was first born - always liked those wall projections and for the most part the rest of the interface too.

Now modeling... that is another story!! (don't get me started :[ )
Hexagon is an absolutely brilliant idea in a modeller. I am totally PO-ed about where it landed. If I was as rich as Billy Gates, I'd buy the program and give it to Thomas so he could finish up the great act that team started.

Silo is coming, but they don't seem to see the forest for the trees... tools that Hexagon has that I find indispensible are the Dynamic Geometry that lets you manipulate objects after they are modeled... the lofts and sweeps and other things they gave weird names to, and line tools that actually work (lot of things that I like about Rhino are built in to Hex). As far as I can tell as great as Silo is, they have so far left out these basics. I love Silo's ability to redo geometry after displacement brush work... something I think Hex would have gotten to pretty soon if the bean-counters hadn't stepped in and messed it up. Hope they get et by them gremlin things!! :ermm:

Pardon the rants... I may even feel a little better now. I might even vote... not sure I like the candidates....:blush:

(**Someday I will do a report on how dirt was made... it was a very interesting process...:blush2: )

chrisd
15/10/2006, 15h32
(**Someday I will do a report on how dirt was made... it was a very interesting process...:blush2: )

Hmmm, this reminds me of a joke:
What has Beethoven been doing for the last 179 years?:)

OK, Back on topic,

I am sticking with Carrara and adding Blender. I am optimistic that Carrara 6 will offer some great improvements, but I don't think it will add scripting capability or ability to use other renderers like Yafray, Indigo, Kerkythea etc.

sailor-ed
19/10/2006, 01h08
Pete Extreme

Could you comment on the feature set of Lightwave vs Carrara? I'm mainly interested in the texturing and rendering abilities.

Thanks

markbremmer
25/10/2006, 20h55
For me and my requirements, I guess I'd call Carrara "right-sized". It does a lot of things really well and allows me to produce for Broadcast, Web and Print. If my sights were set on Hollywood, I'd definately be damaging my brain with LW and Maya - especially if someone else was buying. I mean, plug-ins that start at $500 and go up to the thousands, plus needing to buy separate render engines...

I simply don't need some of the dedicated feature-sets and capabilities (along with the learning curve) for my projects. There is a ton of clients that don't need ILM level special effects and animation. Carrara let's me produce for the rest of the world and still have some spare time and cash left in my pocket. :D

Piem
26/10/2006, 08h36
I like to read this judicious thoughts . :)
It's true: Carrara does a good job.

Davidoff
26/10/2006, 10h23
It is a fact :
more you test another softwares, more you like carrara ;-)

Pete Exxtreme
26/10/2006, 13h14
It is a fact :
more you test another softwares, more you like carrara ;-)

Absolutely not : Carrara does a fair job, but is not the state of the art :)

tonytrout
26/10/2006, 14h02
MMmm More I test other softwares (maya and others) more I like them. Although I miss the friendliness of Carrara some of these other softs are very much advanced on it. Main problem is the cost of them, but also very complicated to learn, however I think 80% of world is using 3ds or maya, so eventually learning them is inevitable. Maybe my reasoning is wrong but I have been terribly disappointed in whose hands Carrara has ended up in, and I wont waste another penny or my valuable time on software without a recognisable future. However obviously Carrara still quite adequetly covers the needs of a lot of people, professionals and amateurs alike, and for me also, so I wont be abandoning it just yet, but I dont think I will be upgrading for C6, but save my pennys for a mainstream product. :)

kagi
28/10/2006, 11h10
Well, I didn't really use Carrara... I started with Vue d'Esprit and Poser, and then with Hexagon.

Since a few weeks I'm seriously learning Blender :happy: Then I'm progressively leaving Vue/Poser and even Hexagon. I can work (play lol) with Blender very easily and I think that now, I don't really need other softwares :p

I'm even progressively leaving XP for Ubuntu :w00t:lol

Dann-O
12/11/2006, 13h04
This thread and the hash thread really have perked my interest in Messiah. I downloaded the demo. Seems right priced if I can come up with the money. Since I have modelers that I like and am comfortable with that is what I really need. Not a carrera user now. (did use version 1 and Ray dream and used to love Infini D back in the day)