PDA

Voir la version complète : You think you're a modeler?

Grendel
10/09/2006, 00h57
If you think you're a good modeler have a look at this o_O http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/maya/lastelf/index.html

If that does not make you want to try harder or just work on an insanely detailed level then you're the man. Remember there is no Z-brush here, just poly modeling.

Sketchy
10/09/2006, 01h23
Yeah, I've seen that referred to in another forum. Do you think modeling is the only highlight in it? See if you could texture cloth close enough to see its fibers.:shiny: Or how about the skin and those eyes and everything!:)

Grendel
10/09/2006, 02h07
I've seen skin and eyes as good several times, the modeling I've not seen that I can remember.

LoneGunman
10/09/2006, 04h20
This guy is just a bit more insane:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=307349

Enjoy :hi:

Sketchy
10/09/2006, 04h30
This guy is just a bit more insane:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=307349

That guy is more focused on modeling. He uses surface NURBS, btw. Both of the above were modeled the traditional way. No z-brushing. (I've never been a fan of displacement painting.) Here's another one:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=399499&page=1&pp=15

This one seems to rely more on textures to aid realism.

LoneGunman
10/09/2006, 04h41
This one is more focused on modeling. He uses surface NURBS, btw.

It really does not makes it any easier, does it ? :shiny:

Grendel
10/09/2006, 04h44
Good one LG, inspiring and depressing at the same time hahaha.

Sketchy
10/09/2006, 04h53
It really does not makes it any easier, does it ? :shiny:I have no clue. And I'm not about to go insane.lol

steama
10/09/2006, 05h11
Simply beautiful stuff. Ultra impressive skills.:w00t:

-ash-
10/09/2006, 13h51
Every so often you come across someone who is so far ahead that you wonder if you'll ever catch up :ohmy:

I'm going to use a word here that I often see used innapropriately around the web, but in this case I think these models are simply .......

awesome!!!

:)

jbshorty
10/09/2006, 14h31
these people are obviously the best of the best. The work is nothing less than extraordinary. And if they were alive 500 years ago, we would view their sculpture in the great meuseums around the world.... As mentioned in one of the quotes, it's the type of work you do only to challenge yourself and see how far you can go. The elf project alone took them 4 months o_O... I only started in 3D about 13 months ago (no previous training for any type of art). And I've got a very loooooooong journey ahead of me. Someday i hope to reach the technical expertise of these masters. But i will never match their artistry. i'm not embarrassed to admit :blush:...

sketchy, i'm not a fan of displacement either. I like to see how far people can push real geometry...

sadly i think we may never catch up, because they will continue improving way beyond our reach :~(. Oh well, i can have fun trying...

Narration
10/09/2006, 17h08
I'm not sure what the significance is about 'no Z-brush, no sculpting'.

If the advances in sculpting tools (Silo, Z-brush...) make better results, and may mean a more natural way to work, why not appreciate it?

Maybe I am misinterpreting this hair shirt, or...?

jbshorty
10/09/2006, 18h54
I'm not sure what the significance is about 'no Z-brush, no sculpting'.

If the advances in sculpting tools (Silo, Z-brush...) make better results, and may mean a more natural way to work, why not appreciate it?

Maybe I am misinterpreting this hair shirt, or...?

Hi. I didn't say anything negative about displacement techniques. They've obviously made a major impact on the speed and quality of 3D work, so nobody can argue about it without looking foolish. I only said i'm not a fan of it. It's really impressive that somebody put so much devotion into constructing those models poly by poly... :)

Thomas
10/09/2006, 21h39
The NURBS guy is far away from the other. His work is too much impressive. Nothing to say about that.
But something that is also important si more "How long did they spend to model these models"?

Another great artist is Olivier Ponssoner (Reiv) :http://reiv.cgsociety.org/gallery/ (French powa!:))

jbshorty
10/09/2006, 22h08
The NURBS guy is far away from the other. His work is too much impressive. Nothing to say about that.
But something that is also important si more "How long did they spend to model these models"?

Another great artist is Olivier Ponssoner (Reiv) :http://reiv.cgsociety.org/gallery/ (French powa!:))

They mentioned it took 4 months for 2 people to complete the helmet lol. I agree the Nurbs heads are just amazing. I suppose Maya can maintain tangency of connected edges? If not, then a project like that is really really crazy to achieve with Nurbs...

Piem
10/09/2006, 23h22
And each one knows what REAL nurbs are when comes the time to render with an engine that doesn't support nurbs..

HELL ! o_O

Especially if you don't want to reach an insane polys count :ohmy:

Thomas
10/09/2006, 23h45
Piem: some render engine support NURBS :)

Sketchy
11/09/2006, 02h01
If the advances in sculpting tools (Silo, Z-brush...) make better results, and may mean a more natural way to work, why not appreciate it?I have nothing against Zbrush-like tools, it's just that I'm not a fan at the moment. Sorry.:shiny: However, I do appreciate the great stride in advancement as an additional modeling tool. The thing I would like to see is more control over its use, not just the freeform style. For instance, let's revisit this site (http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/maya/lastelf/index.html) and look at the helmet which was adorned with sculpted complex decorations. Do you think he would have chosen to use poly/subd tools had Zbrush, or equivalent, had those kinds of tools? Zbrush is supposed to be a sculpting tool, yet why can't this be done? The reason, I think, is because he had no choice and preferred to have more control over the proper placement of sharp edges in particular. How would you like to be able to engrave decorative logos and letters on a flat or curve surface using Zbrush tools? You can't at the moment.

Probably the best thing that could happen is to see boolean capability, which sounds ridiculous, I know. It's like stamping on a piece of soft clay to imprint something using a decorative metal. It's boolean subtraction at work with finesse.lol

Couerl
12/09/2006, 19h46
"How long did they spend to model these models"?

It must have taken him at least an hour or two in Carrara Basics. lol

Seriously, it would take a few days just for one eyeball...:crying2: I can't see it any time in the near or even distant future. It's sobering in many ways to be reminded how all the effort put into something can seem virtually insignificant in comparison.
What's interesting to me though is to study the mesh and see so many perfect quads and here and there are these crazy ngons that look like they could be easily tesselated, but it's like he didn't care or it didn't matter. Maybe it is intentional for some texturing purpose or something, I'm not sure.

jbshorty
12/09/2006, 23h18
Or maybe they went outside to feel the sunlight :)...