PDA

Voir la version complète : All these 3d programs

crazy wabbit
20/08/2006, 19h53
Well lets see, there is Hex, modo, silo, mudbox (yet to be released) and who knows maybe more modelers to come.

I am not so crazy as to spend money to buy these programs, Silo is not so bad for the price, I guess I can afford that but Modo is another thing.

Plus who has enought time in the day to learn all these new programs. Many people including myself have to use one or two program to fully utilize them, but temptation is there to try a new program and move on. I guess technology is developing and soon like we have been seeing, UV mapping which used to be a pain in the A@# now is almost automated.

So here is my 2 cents, I got to wait to see when the dust settles who comes out the winner, and by winner I mean (support) support means more training material, more users interacting, and better upgrades and technical support.

So now that I have heard of all the above releases, I am yet to hear from DAZ. When was the chat again? I missed the one on august 10.

:(

Nichod
20/08/2006, 21h00
Try not to buy into that. Too many people try to use and buy every program and end up know nothing about everything.

Pete Exxtreme
20/08/2006, 21h14
..and you forget LightWave, Cinema4D etc...:w00t:

Anyway there will be no winner for us because technology is moving fast : one missing feature vs. competition can be available in the n+1 version in example. I would bet on the program you personally feel comfortable with now, and that fits more or less your neeeds, and where you have easily :
- a good commnuty to help and support you
- good tutorials (videos/ etc..)
- books
- and the best of the best in-class training (if you can afford them)

Modo to me has almost none of these, but the community ? (like Hexagon BTW), while Cinema4D and Lightwave have it (for the same range of price).

It's useless to have fancy stuffs in a program when you know 40% of the program, and it takes time to masterize a real 3D program, whatever it is (what i did not achieve BTW :w00t: )

Just my 2 cents...
:hi:

crazy wabbit
21/08/2006, 00h03
as long as i have you guys around, there are many great artist with hex and carrara and as you said we have the community and thanks to thomas this site to share information. Hex rules and so does carrara.

micaelito
21/08/2006, 00h27
Hi Behzad, Nichods and Pete.

As Pete said, no need to buy a complicate soft in order to model or render.

First of all, you must know what you need.

To illustrate this, you don't need a formula one to drive in town (don't you)

Your answer will determinate what softwares you need

Naturally it's not so easy...
Perhaps some day you'll need some new function, to match your knowledge or to honor a custommer's command, or even your chief...
I don't about the future...

So let's talk about today..

I think, but i can make a mistake that you must :
1) know what you want to do.
2) try lots of démo softs.
3) Feel comfortable with the interface and the workflow, it's very important.

Happy rendering !

Nichod
21/08/2006, 00h37
Modo to me has almost none of these, but the community ? (like Hexagon BTW), while Cinema4D and Lightwave have it (for the same range of price).

Just to clarify this. Modo has a great community. Friendly people in the forums and an online IRC chat group thats active often.

And Modo also is chocked full of comprehensive video tutorials demonstrating how to use pretty much everything. Over 1 gig of tutorials. Don't believe me then download the demo;)

Personally I haven't been able to really get attached to modo, mostly due to the cost,not only price but including learning a whole new application.

Corndog
21/08/2006, 03h05
Try not to buy into that. Too many people try to use and buy every program and end up know nothing about everything.

True that... I am guilty of this but I love to spend

crazy wabbit
21/08/2006, 06h17
your right, me in no rush, plus me no have money, plus me have what i need, carrara and hex. I can use carrara and hex the way they are for a few years and still be able to do the things i like to do. It is all temptation and I am not falling for it.

HeavyHanded
21/08/2006, 06h32
OK I confess...sob!
I started with RayDream Studio...then I went to Martin Hash's 3D animation 97.
Then I left her for a more stable program...LW7.5. But lightwave's character animation wasn't my style. Then XSI 4.2 caught my eye, and I kicked LW7 out and have been shacking up with XSI 4.2 ever since. Very sexy, clever and stable program... but modeling is difficult for me in XSI. So I found a younger, fresher program....Hex2.

So now I love two 3d programs at the same time. XSI for animation and rendering, Hex2 for modeling and materials.

I hope I can stay faithful to these two...that means I cannot even visit nevercenter's website.

tonytrout
21/08/2006, 09h35
They all have their own charms :), I admire you behzad for sticking to one that makes you happy. I do like trying out other softs as it makes you aware of other developments that you would like in your own favourite application.

I am recently enamoured of z brush however I notice my training time has increased to 90% and my actual creative modelling time has reduced to 10%, however I like learning so not a bad thing. I try to have steep learning curve.

Azeiku
21/08/2006, 23h53
I don't know about you but Modo has a pretty decent amount of tutorials and information on how to learn it. It also has a very knowledgeable and helpful community when you are using it. Their forums are always full and active on their company site. My problem was cost.

-Azeiku

crazy wabbit
22/08/2006, 00h48
They all have their own charms :), I admire you behzad for sticking to one that makes you happy. I do like trying out other softs as it makes you aware of other developments that you would like in your own favourite application.

I am recently enamoured of z brush however I notice my training time has increased to 90% and my actual creative modelling time has reduced to 10%, however I like learning so not a bad thing. I try to have steep learning curve.

Thank you tonytrout, wait a bit more my friend is finishing the release of Mudbox, they say it is better than zbrush. I guess playing around is one thing, but investing money and time is another. Lot of changes in a days to come in the 3d community, I guess it is good in a way. I am a graphic designer and everytime adobe or other 2d companies upgrade their software I panic and have to update myself with their current software. The industry does not wait I guess. Being selfemployed is fine cause you can use the softwares you like but working for a company, you would have to know their software.
I guess technology is the field we are in and so this is the game we have to learn to play.

tonytrout
22/08/2006, 08h52
Ha Too late have already bought zbrush, also no indications of the price on mudbox that I have seen but I guess it is going to be expensive too.

On another note, I wait to see direction of carrara from chat on 22nd with Daz, but seriously considering max,maya,XSI,LW or C4D. Anybody have recommendations? I cant be bothered investing any more time and money into software without a future.

medeamajic
22/08/2006, 10h50
If Newtek or Adobe had bought Carrara and Hexagon I would not have the same fears I have with Daz being the new owners.

HeavyHanded
22/08/2006, 16h46
Ha Too late have already bought zbrush, also no indications of the price on mudbox that I have seen but I guess it is going to be expensive too.

On another note, I wait to see direction of carrara from chat on 22nd with Daz, but seriously considering max,maya,XSI,LW or C4D. Anybody have recommendations? I cant be bothered investing any more time and money into software without a future.
recommendations...hmmm...only one:
X.S.I. FND

steama
22/08/2006, 19h24
Thank you tonytrout, wait a bit more my friend is finishing the release of Mudbox, they say it is better than zbrush. I guess playing around is one thing, but investing money and time is another. Lot of changes in a days to come in the 3d community, I guess it is good in a way. I am a graphic designer and everytime adobe or other 2d companies upgrade their software I panic and have to update myself with their current software. The industry does not wait I guess. Being selfemployed is fine cause you can use the softwares you like but working for a company, you would have to know their software.
I guess technology is the field we are in and so this is the game we have to learn to play.
Mudbox is for displacement only from what I have seen. I do not see anything about Mudbox texturing and painting models. ZBrush is a much more complete solution for almost any workflow and I would wager that when ZBrush v2.5 is released it will be much better than Mudbox. I will put my money in ZBrush's more complete solution anyway. Especially considering texturing and painting your work. Nothing is comparable to ZBrush. :)

jbshorty
22/08/2006, 19h59
i would agree with Steama that ZB is the all around better buy. I already have Silo and Hex, if i were to consider another displacement app, i would probably go with ZB for fine detailing. Mudbox has not impressed me yet, but the ZB 2.5 videos are really tempting me... But i promised myself to not buy any new apps right now :[ . I want to see who survives this little war...

crazy wabbit
22/08/2006, 20h28
yah lets wait, we already have too many programs. :P