PDA

Voir la version complète : New PC - comments please

-ash-
27/05/2006, 17h26
Hi everyone,

Ever since I heard Hex 2 was going to tax my PC I've been looking at a getting a new system. This is to be dedicated to 3D and graphics (no games, no internet, no office, etc), primarily running Carrara and Hexagon. My main aim is to speed up rendering times and get a boost in Hex 2 for texturing, etc.

For comparison, my current system is a P4 2.0Ghz, 1GB PC2100 RAM, ATI 9800Pro (128Mb), Twin 17" LCD monitors.

Here's what I'm thinking of getting:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ 1mb
CPU Fan/heatsink - Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler
Motherboard - Asus A8V-E Deluxe NW VIA K8T890 PCIe
RAM - 1gb DDR 3200
HD - Single 160Gb Deskstar
Case - Sonata II case inc 450 w PS

Now I know more RAM would be good but I'd rather spend more on the base components now and upgrade RAM and HD space later as required.

:unsure: This leaves the graphic card. I’ve been thinking about either the GeForce 7900GT or 7600GT. There’s a big difference in price and in performance. The question is will I get a performance boost from the 7900GT that is worth the extra money. I would prefer not to have to upgrade again a year from now. I’ll still be running 2 monitors but I also hope to (eventually) get one of those really nice 24” Dell widescreens so the card needs to be able to drive that as well as one of the existing 17” LCDs.

One other thing, my current PC is pretty quiet and I would like the new one to be the same.

Any help/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks .

sadot
27/05/2006, 18h12
It´s a good system, but only 1Gb in RAM ?... a large scene in Crrara or even one single Hx2 subdivided model need more than 1Gb

-ash-
27/05/2006, 18h22
It´s a good system, but only 1Gb in RAM ?... a large scene in Crrara or even one single Hx2 subdivided model need more than 1Gb

Thanks for the comment. I only have one GB RAM at the moment and can handle a around 1.2 million polys in Hex 2 and I've had no trouble in C5pro so far. So I though I would be OK.

But, I just took my sea dragon and bumped it up to level 5 which took it over my physical lRAM limit and of course Hex just gave up. So , 2GB RAM it is then lol

Any thoughts on the graphic card choice?

Cheers.

kagi
27/05/2006, 19h27
the zalman fan is useless imo, the one u get with the cpu is really good. but it also depends the case u have (i have an antec p one p180)

about the ram, i'd go for 2gb too (i have 3gb now)

for the gc, i have a 7800gt. all my progs are working fine, i don't have any display problem and i can play (3d progs, not games lol) at 1920x1440. i don't know what are the differences between a 7600gt a 7800gt and a 7900gt, but i'm very happy with my 7800gt :happy: those cards are designed for games, then i think the differences aren't that big for 3d progs (open gl)

-ash-
27/05/2006, 19h44
the zalman fan is useless imo, the one u get with the cpu is really good. but it also depends the case u have (i have an antec p one p180)

about the ram, i'd go for 2gb too (i have 3gb now)

for the gc, i have a 7800gt. all my progs are working fine, i don't have any display problem and i can play (3d progs, not games lol) at 1920x1440. i don't know what are the differences between a 7600gt a 7800gt and a 7900gt, but i'm very happy with my 7800gt :happy: those cards are designed for games, then i think the differences aren't that big for 3d progs (open gl)

As far as can see the 7900GT is a slightly updated version of the 7800GT, so it looks like that is going to do the job for me. The 7600GT has quite a lower spec. This helps, thanks :shiny:.

Sarissi
27/05/2006, 20h53
Hi everyone,

Ever since I heard Hex 2 was going to tax my PC I've been looking at a getting a new system. This is to be dedicated to 3D and graphics (no games, no internet, no office, etc), primarily running Carrara and Hexagon. My main aim is to speed up rendering times and get a boost in Hex 2 for texturing, etc.

For comparison, my current system is a P4 2.0Ghz, 1GB PC2100 RAM, ATI 9800Pro (128Mb), Twin 17" LCD monitors.

Here's what I'm thinking of getting:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ 1mb
CPU Fan/heatsink - Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler
Motherboard - Asus A8V-E Deluxe NW VIA K8T890 PCIe
RAM - 1gb DDR 3200
HD - Single 160Gb Deskstar
Case - Sonata II case inc 450 w PS

Now I know more RAM would be good but I'd rather spend more on the base components now and upgrade RAM and HD space later as required.

:unsure: This leaves the graphic card. I’ve been thinking about either the GeForce 7900GT or 7600GT. There’s a big difference in price and in performance. The question is will I get a performance boost from the 7900GT that is worth the extra money. I would prefer not to have to upgrade again a year from now. I’ll still be running 2 monitors but I also hope to (eventually) get one of those really nice 24” Dell widescreens so the card needs to be able to drive that as well as one of the existing 17” LCDs.

One other thing, my current PC is pretty quiet and I would like the new one to be the same.

Any help/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks .

Ash;

What country are you buying from? If in the USA, I would consider Newegg.com for their prices. The cost of 300 GB hdds are fairly low, under $120. I would try to go with a minimum of 2 hdds: smaller for System, and larger for programs and Data.

Oh, if that CPU is a Retail package, you would Void the Warranty if you use anything other than the included HS/Fan. Same with Arctic Silver.

I hope that I have helped some.

-ash-
27/05/2006, 21h55
Ash;

What country are you buying from? If in the USA, I would consider Newegg.com for their prices. The cost of 300 GB hdds are fairly low, under $120. I would try to go with a minimum of 2 hdds: smaller for System, and larger for programs and Data.

Oh, if that CPU is a Retail package, you would Void the Warranty if you use anything other than the included HS/Fan. Same with Arctic Silver.

I hope that I have helped some.
Hi, Sarissi, Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the UK so Newegg.com not much help I'm afraid. I'm totally with you on the 2 drives though. My current PC has 200GB in 2 drives (should have said so in my first post :blush2:

I'll probably take the second drive out of that PC and put it in the new one, I'll then use the old PC as a render node and backup drive.

What I've done in the past is gone down to my local PC shop and get them to build the system to my spec. Costs a little bit more than building it myself but I get a full year's warranty. They don't mind me adding bits either :).