PDA

Voir la version complète : tablet questions

mon_stdnt
12/05/2006, 20h41
I'm planning on getting one tablet for my computer and laptop.
http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=46871

My concern is:

when I install the software in both my computer and laptop, will it reconize the hardware(tablet) when I re-connect the usb to either one? ex: digital camera or a flah-drive
Does the actual space of the tablet act similiar to the monitor view?
thanx in advance:)

danilo.massa
13/05/2006, 07h13
Hi,
my answers:
1 - yes you can, keep in mind that if you are using Windows, sometimes it is not so perfect with the USB devices handling so if you put and remove your tablet a lot of times whithout turn off/on your pc ... my be that explorer (the shell not the internet browser) will be frozen ... so you must reboot your pc.
2 - yes is similar ...

A little note: if you do not have used a tablet before this one that you want to buy, remember that will be necessary some time to become able to use it.
Another note: from my point of view a tablet is not very useful for 3D modelling with standard tools (Max, Carrara, C4D). In this case a good mouse is better.

Regards

-ash-
13/05/2006, 13h29
I use a tablet all the time - for everything. I don't plug it in and out or move it between PCs though the few times I've plugged it into the laptop it has worked fine. I would highly recommend Wacom tablets, the Intuos if you can afford it.

Regarding your second question. I think you are talking about how the tablet maps to the screen. I had a quick look at the link and there is no mention of changing settings to adjust to your screen shape. For example, I use 2 monitors and if the pen is mapped to the entire desktop it is very difficult to control. If you have or a planning to use a wide screen format display as well this might be a problem. The Intuos I have allows me to change the settings overall and for individual applications.

I noticed that the Adesso has 512 levels of sensitivity. The Intuos has 1024. I noticed a difference, using the highter levels gives a lot more control over the stroke. Depends what you are going to use the tablet for.

I would look for reviews of the tablet you are looking atand even see if you can have a go with one. Also check for application compatiblity, I think I saw on Amazon.com that the Adesso is not compatible with CS2.

I would say that the Intuos tablets are expensive but what you get is good quality and will last (mine are Intuos 1 and still in use everyday). Wacom also make the Graphire range which is cheaper but many people are very happy with them.

I hope this info is useful.

Tirade
13/05/2006, 14h52
My advice is get the biggest one you can afford (As far as LxW dimension). It makes a big difference with comparison to your screen. Especially if your planning to do any 2d work where long paint type strokes will be needed.

And get ready for a learning curve. It is realy different and kinda frustrating at first to get used to. But it gets better with use.

Never remove it from my computer so can't answere that one.

I also second the Wacom. Good company. Note-the tech support is not a toll free call, suprisingly...but they are helpful.

~Liam~

-ash-
13/05/2006, 15h03
And get ready for a learning curve. It is realy different and kinda frustrating at first to get used to. But it gets better with use.

This is true, I've used tablets for so long now (since the 80's) that I forget that bit. My advice, treat it like a pencil, not a mouse, and you'll get there quicker :)

Size wise, A4 looks good but I have my eye on the A5 wide (or 6x8 wide in the US) which is designed for wide screen or dual monitors. I found the A3 took up too much desk space making it awkward to use. When I realised that I was only using a portion of it I went for the A5.

mon_stdnt
13/05/2006, 17h22
thank for the respond i'll look at some other tablets. I'm basically using for graphic design (photoshop and Illustrator). When I get Hex 2 I will probably use it.

Concerning question1: if its usb plug, can't I just go to the icon on the bottom of the screen and click "safe remove hardware"?

-ash-
13/05/2006, 17h43
Concerning question1: if its usb plug, can't I just go to the icon on the bottom of the screen and click "safe remove hardware"?

I've just checked (Win2K) and the tablet isn't listed in "safe remove hardware". I think it works down at the driver level so it doesn't show up.

So, just for fun I unplugged it, then plugged it back in again. No problem, still worked :)

danilo.massa
14/05/2006, 01h12

Do not ask me why but all HID (Human Interface Devices) are not shown in this list, but is safe to remove and plug them simply disconnecting the USB cable.
The only thing that I have seen is that some times after a lot of put/remove the windows shell become instable (I do this just because I am lazy and I do not completely turn off my laptop but I suspend it).

Regards
P.S. I have a Wacom Graphire 3 and I am very happy wit it.

mon_stdnt
16/05/2006, 16h00
I check some tablet and this (http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=11443) is the one I'm leading on now. I want to know if is compatiable with Hex2, when I get it, and Illustrator CS2?

Nate Owens
16/05/2006, 17h01
I've used wacom intuous for years. You can't go wrong with that. Mine is intuous 6x8, an older tablet with newest drivers.

Yes, I use it with Hex 2... does well.. you have to open the wacom setup and make Hex 2 one of the applications that will use it. For other details, read your Hex 2 manual.... no problems for me.

Suggestion: Do not plug in and unplug your usb hookups - get a usb hub... I have one that holds about 5 devices... they are all available and no problems. It is the best and simplest way to do this.

Good luck

-ash-
16/05/2006, 18h57
I check some tablet and this (http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=11443) is the one I'm leading on now. I want to know if is compatiable with Hex2, when I get it, and Illustrator CS2?

I can recommend that also. Wacom is the industry standard so there should be minimal problems with compatibility. If the application is not compatible with a Wacom Intuos then it is the application that is wrong lol. It usually gets fixed pretty quick too. For example, Artrage 2.0 had a couple of probs but they are all fixed now.

I'm using the original Intuos 6x8 (or A5 as it's called here in the UK) same as Nate. Had no problems with it so far, in fact the wide version of the one you are looking at is on my wish list :shiny:

geqfreq
24/05/2006, 14h55
yeah I've got the Intuos 3 6x8. It's an incredible tablet changed the way I model and texture (especially). With Hex works so you don't have to reassign buttons. Might want to check Ebay comparative prices to Educational discount... I've found.