PDA

Voir la version complète : It's a very happy day...

SEJ
05/05/2006, 07h02
DAZ marketing is pure genius!
Yes, they have boosted the Hexagon user base more than could have been done any other way. I am indeed amazed! It's like Bill Gates was running the marketing show over there.

I paid the pre-order price and missed out on the $30 or $1.99 deal but I don't care anymore. Because of DAZ I think Hexagon's future is brighter than it ever could have been otherwise before it was in the hands of DAZ. You know the money is LARGE and there for future development! Money that was never there before. My prediction is that DAZ will bring Carrara and Hexagon along better than anyone could have ever before. DAZ has more options for development than Eovia ever had already. Hats off to Eovia for doing the good job they did, but I have a feeling we are about to see even greater things from DAZ! They got the marketing smarts which means CASH to do what they need to do. You can always do the job if you have the money. You can do more and you have more options.

Hexagon and Carrara are safer than ever before.

Thank you DAZ! You have my full support and backing. DAZ is my friend. I trust the kind of smart thinking going on at DAZ. I could not ask for a better sign than what I have seen in recent days from DAZ for Hexagon's and Carrara's futures.

:shiny: Sheer DAZ genius!

medeamajic
05/05/2006, 07h23
You are saying it is wise to sell a great product like Hexagon for $1.99? Even if they sell a million copies they will not have a million in revenue. What good does it do to have 2 million users if there is no money to pay the programers and rent and taxes? I could buy Hexagon and give it a way. What good would that do? Are you confusing a bigger user base with a bigger profit?

Yea, Bryce 5.5 has taken the world my storm.

medeamajic
05/05/2006, 07h24
You are saying it is wise to sell a great product like Hexagon for $1.99? Even if they sell 2 million copies they will not have 2 million in revenue. What good does it do to have 2 million users if there is no money to pay the programers and rent? I could buy Hexagon and give it a way. What good would that do? Are you confusing a bigger user base with a bigger profit?

Yea, Bryce 5.5 has taken the world by storm.

SEJ
05/05/2006, 07h32
Wait, watch and see. You will be Dazzled!

LoneGunman
05/05/2006, 07h51
Yep, next assimilation target is DCG !

And then, ultimate deal: Carrara5 pro + Hex2 + ShaderStyle bundle for $199 :shiny:

Pete Exxtreme
05/05/2006, 07h58
Thread moved to the Misc Discussion section :)

Thomas
05/05/2006, 14h08
Thanks Pete.....

KhrisK
05/05/2006, 15h32
You are saying it is wise to sell a great product like Hexagon for $1.99? Even if they sell 2 million copies they will not have 2 million in revenue. What good does it do to have 2 million users if there is no money to pay the programers and rent? I could buy Hexagon and give it a way. What good would that do? Are you confusing a bigger user base with a bigger profit?

Yea, Bryce 5.5 has taken the world by storm.

Apparently, he didn't do any math. Even if DAZ offered Hexagon 2 for $40, people would still have bought it. That's 10 times the current price. That would have gained enough revenue to develop Hex 2 further and given Carrara the much needed hair feature! Development costs money. Tons of money. Seems that DAZ saw Hex the same level as DAZ Studio or Bryce to be given away almost free. Yeah talk about DAZ's sheer genius. Right.

MilesW
05/05/2006, 16h09
The $1.99 price is clearly unsustainable in the long term, and to be fair, DAZ has only ever said it is a short term promotion. So the question becomes, what value do DAZ get in the future? By trying to maximise the user base they may be seeking to

(1) Have a large base of people who will potentially pay to upgrade to Hex3
(2) Attract existing Hex users into Platinum Club membership and increase their revenues from content sales
(3) perhaps look for people to generate content in Hex format that can sold via the DAZ site (i.e. create a whole new content market).

Like all loss-leading, there are risks. Only DAZ knows what they paid for Hex, how much they get (on average) per PC member and they will have to estimate what the size of any new market will be. They will also need to judge what proportion of Hex members will stay PC members.

For the moment, they will be funding development of Hex and Carrara from existing profits. To what degree will depend on what sort of return they predict and when in the future they expect to get it.

Whether their sums are right & what impact that will have on Carrara and Hex, only time will tell. :flower:

Miles

medeamajic
05/05/2006, 17h20
My point is that they would need to sell over 2 million copies to generate the same amount of money as selling 20000 at $199.99. With a bigger user base they would need more tech support, more sales people and more office space.

I would not mind if Daz members got offered the upgrade price. That would have been a better option. Using Hexagon as bait for platinum members is kind of odd. Eovia never would have done it.

MilesW
05/05/2006, 18h25
My point is that they would need to sell over 2 million copies to generate the same amount of money as selling 20000 at $199.99. With a bigger user base they would need more tech support, more sales people and more office space.

I would not mind if Daz members got offered the upgrade price. That would have been a better option. Using Hexagon as bait for platinum members is kind of odd. Eovia never would have done it.

Your point is very valid and (I assume) was one of the options Daz considered. The fact that they didn't choose that route means that they think they have an option that is "better" (and was constitutes "better" for a particular company is always open to debate).

Of course there is always room for the Hoover type disaster :innocent: (Hoover offered free flights to the US from the UK for people buying new hoovers as a way of generating publicity and, if I recall correctly, expected the usual few % of people to actually take them up on the offer. Lots of people quickly saw that the flight was worth more than the hoover, bought the hoover and claimed the flight. Hoover had to rapidly withdraw the offer in the face of escalating losses - court cases and lots of bad publicity followed.)

I agree that Eovia probably wouldn't have done the $1.99 thing, but Daz is coming from a different market position & this will influence their take on things. They have made their choices now and will take the plaudits or the brickbats depending on how things turn out O_O

Miles

dillustratoratwork
05/05/2006, 18h28
Wait, watch and see. You will be Dazzled!First they need to get Hex 2 working properly. Many bugs still.
Also support for 2 and 3 year old graphics cards to maintain that high user base.

medeamajic
05/05/2006, 21h57
milesw,

I don't think Daz realizes what they have purchased. I think they might have done the same thing if they had bought Maya or C4D. Bryce and Daz Studio are not worth buying but Carrara and Hexagon are. I admit Daz has a different marketing aproach but I hope Daz will concentrate on the merits of Carrara and Hexagon and worry less about the Platinum club. I have nothing against selling 3-D models but I hope Daz will keep Carrara and Hexagon seperated from any Daz membership.

MilesW
05/05/2006, 22h16
I hope Daz will concentrate on the merits of Carrara and Hexagon

Indeed - fingers crossed that Daz develops them to their full potential so that they can take on the big guns in 3d.

Miles

tyrell
05/05/2006, 23h30
I have ran out of things to say about this subject. Like I've said multiple times, DAZ's biggest test is C6. I have kept my fingers crossed. Question is, what additional features would satisfy those who are waiting for its release?

One thing is certain, though. Pre-ordering will become thing of the past.

medeamajic
06/05/2006, 00h21
I have ran out of things to say about this subject. Like I've said multiple times, DAZ's biggest test is C6. I have kept my fingers crossed. Question is, what additional features would satisfy those who are waiting for its release?

One thing is certain, though. Pre-ordering will become thing of the past.

I think in the case of Hexagon 2 the pre order was a bad idea. Daz members recieved a better deal than us Eovians.

Carrara 6? I would hate to find Daz make use of Daz Studio native import in C6 and charge $149.99 for the upgrade when much more important things are needed. Eovia did listen to the customers. With Daz who knows? I admit all the Dazers love the buy out but as of now I am not impressed. If Daz is anything like Eovia we should see the Carrara 6 Pro in December. There is no doubt in my mind that Carrara 6 has potential but can Daz utilize it? Only time will tell.