PDA

Voir la version complète : new computer, want comments!!!

shaunmckinnon
18/01/2006, 20h42
I have just bought a new Dell Dimension 5150.
It has a P4 640 3.2GHZ HT, 1Gig of DDR2 533MHZ (2X 512DIMMS), 256MB ATI X600SE HYPERMEM PCI-E 16X, AND A 250GIG SATA HD. I do more web development then design, but I would like something to be able to handle my hobby in 3D. I can see that more RAM is always a good idea, but I'm more curious about this ATI card. I cannot find any reviews on it, so I'm concerned that it might be a lemon. The new system isn't here yet, so I can't say for sure what it's like. I'm also curious how Eovia products will operate on Windows Media Edition. thanks for you opinions,

Shaun McKinnon

medeamajic
18/01/2006, 22h01
On the Carrara 5 Pro box is states Eovia recommends Nvidia GPUs.

AWBenson
18/01/2006, 22h26
It should work with flying colors. Also, the graphic processor/card is only for the designing/modeling stage of 3D with Carrara. Carrara doesn't use the graphic card for any rendering, so for rendering it doesn't make a difference if you have an ancient 16 mb card verus a new 256 mb one.

Keep your old computer and do network rendering. That'll even make your 3D rendering faster. :-)

mykyl1966
19/01/2006, 05h41
That card will be fine. As far as I remember the only thing is that it actually only has 128mb ram onboard and the other 128 mb comes from your system ram.

Cheers

Mike R

Thomas
19/01/2006, 10h42
At Eovia, we use both ATI and Nvidia, without problems.
But ATI just changed their control panel display, and it won't launch on my personnal computer. I can't change my openGL/DirectX properties as outpout.. :( That sucks..

Corndog
20/01/2006, 17h37
But ATI just changed their control panel display, and it won't launch on my personnal computer. I can't change my openGL/DirectX properties as outpout.. :( That sucks..

Thomas what do you mean by change your openGL/Direct X properties as output ?

Pete Exxtreme
20/01/2006, 21h00
Thomas > their shittv control panel running using .net can be removed :)

Shaun > the X600 is not fastest GPU it seems.. :huh: (http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=324&page=1), but still that as you said, until you didn't used it you cannot said if it will fit your needs or not. :)
Having said this, i think that you can upgrade later on if needed, like what i did on my Dell Dimension too from an ATI9800 Pro to another Ati but X850 XT :wub:

Otherwise i'm really happy with my Dell ! :hi:

Thomas
21/01/2006, 11h41
Pete : and how can you access to the display properties ?

toonman
21/01/2006, 23h04
Hi Shaun,

You may want to consider adding more RAM DIMMS.
Nice system.

shaunmckinnon
30/01/2006, 17h49
I finally got the system!!! (damn UPS crossing Canadian border). It's wonderful. In fact it does everything I need it to. However, I noticed that the hyper-threading breeds a new thing in Carrara 5. A second render block. This is wonderful, however, on one picture that I rendered, there was a seam line in between the two render blocks on the rendered image. Now, unfortunately I'm at work, so I can't show you the image, but I was curious, is there a way to shut off the second render block?

OH, and just one note. My old computer used to take forever to calculate physics. This one just produces them, without any load time. :)

shaunmckinnon
30/01/2006, 17h53
Oh, I forgot. One other strange thing with the new system. If you enable dual-monitor support you can't really put hexagon in one screen and carrara in the other unless you don't use the maximize button in the software. Like for example, if you shrink hexagon so it's not the entire screen, taskbar and all, but make it still the standard maximize of windows, you can put it into the second monitor. However, the second you make it full screen on the second monitor, it disappears. Has anyone else had this problem?

-ash-
30/01/2006, 22h39
Oh, I forgot. One other strange thing with the new system. If you enable dual-monitor support you can't really put hexagon in one screen and carrara in the other unless you don't use the maximize button in the software. Like for example, if you shrink hexagon so it's not the entire screen, taskbar and all, but make it still the standard maximize of windows, you can put it into the second monitor. However, the second you make it full screen on the second monitor, it disappears. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi, Shaun,
I've just tried this, Hexagon only running, Hexagon and C5Pro running. Sorry, but had no problems. Each app could run maximised or not on either screen.

I'm running a P4 2.0 with and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Sorry can't be of more help.

Regards
Tony

Corndog
31/01/2006, 00h47
Shaun.. I run dual monitors as well.. The hexagon app wants to run full screen on the primary monitor only.. So if you have carrara open and Hex on the second monitor and then maximize Hex it will goto the primary monitor underneath Carrara

-ash-
31/01/2006, 22h08
Shaun.. I run dual monitors as well.. The hexagon app wants to run full screen on the primary monitor only.. So if you have carrara open and Hex on the second monitor and then maximize Hex it will goto the primary monitor underneath Carrara

This is very starnge. It doesn't happen to me. Both apps running, Hex can be maximised on the secondary monitor with C5Pro maximised on the primary monitor.

OR Hex can be maximised on the primary monitor and C5Pro on the secondary.

Perhaps it's a system thing. Shaun, Corndog, what operating system are you running? My system is P4 2.0, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128mb, Windows 2000 Pro (SP4).

Perhaps we can figure out what is different.

Regards
Tony

shaunmckinnon
01/02/2006, 18h14
I'm running Windows XP Media Edition (came with the TV tuner card). It's quite buggy. i can run both apps in maximized, but not the eovia way of maximized where it takes up the entire screen, taskbar and all. The second I click the "eye" icon on the second monitor, the app disappears.

-ash-
01/02/2006, 21h54
OK I can confirm this happens on my system too. I don't use the Eovia way as I have the app partially on the second screen.

What happens is that when you click the maximise icon Hex jumps to the first screen. So you can't use Hex in this manner on the second monitor :-(

By the way, the eye icon is the minimise one. I assume your talking about the one next to it that looks like a window. This is the maximise button.

Anyway this does seem to be a shortcoming of the way the Eovia style maximise.

Regards
Tony

shaunmckinnon
03/02/2006, 13h40
you're right ash, the little square beside the eye.

curious, has anyone set their dual SATA drives to RAID 0 here? I realize the risk in doing this, losing all data if one drive goes down, but I was wondering if you can partition both drives, and set the RAID controller to affect only 1 partition on each drive. Essentially having Windows installed on a major partition on one drive, having a major backup on another drive, but for data installation (such as carrara, and other data heavy applications), put them on the RAID configured partitions.

Actually that wouldn't be the best configuration. I don't care when the software goes down, but by having a backup of the files on the system would be nice. having to major partitions handling the RAID and two minor partitions handling seperate backups (even if you could RAID 1 half the drive and RAID 0 the other half). Or maybe I just install a third IDE hard drive for backup purposes.

Any suggestions?

Shaun McKinnon (please don't make fun of me :) . This RAID stuff is very new to me )

-ash-
11/03/2006, 18h23

Thomas, don't know if you ever sorted this out but just had the same problem on my son's PC. We found out that you need to have .NET framework installed. There's a link on the ATI download page. https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=295

After .NET was installed the control panel worked fine.

Thomas
12/03/2006, 01h27
I reinstall windows and now it works. I had .net installed before. (and the new driver sucks.. new process, a lot of memory used..)

sparrownightmare
12/03/2006, 03h53
I just put together a mid-high end machine for 3D work. I was tired of C5 taking 4 hours to 2 weeks to render a single image. Here is what I built.

AMD Athlon64x2 3800 CPU (really makes C5 Fly!)
Abit KN8 Ultra Motherboard with the Nforce 4 ultra chipset
2BG PC3200 DDR400 Dual Channel Corsair RAM
Leadtek Nvidia GeForce 6600 TD 256MB PCIE Video
Seagate 200GB SATA II Hard Disk 3GB/s Transfer rate
Maxtor 300GB SATA II Hard Disk 3GB/s transfer rate
Creative Labs Audigy 2zs Sound
Sony CDRW
Samsung DVD-RW

I personally have always liked AMD CPUs. More bang for the buck and even Intel admits they are playing catch up to the mid to high end AMD chips.

The fast RAM really helps. I plan on adding another 2GB later on as well.

This box flies on C5, Poser, even Maya.

Oh yeh and it plays a mean game of Sims 2.

Rich

-ash-
12/03/2006, 11h28
Thomas, in these days of lots of RAM and disk space bloatware is everywhere :( .

Sparrownightmare, what machine did you come from? I'm running a P4 2.0 Ghz with a 1GB of PC2100 RAM. I'm thinking of upgrading but I'm not sure if I'll get enough speed increase to justify the cost. I was looking at the Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200 with 1GB of RAM to start with then get another gig of RAM if necessary. My main focus would be to decrease render times.

As an aside, why so much RAM? I never seem to run out but I don't use a lot of hi-res textures at the moment. What sort of things would I need the extra gig for?

Sarissi
12/03/2006, 12h17
Ash, High Polycounts will eat your ram also.

-ash-
12/03/2006, 12h23
Ash, High Polycounts will eat your ram also.

Thanks, Sarissi. Been doing 2D for ages but I'm relatively new to 3D so still feeling my way. The only thing I did so far was replace the Matrox G550 with a Radeon 9800pro in my current machine. The G550 is a great 2D card but just couldn't cope with any sort of 3D stuff.

As I've only just started seriously modeling stuff I'll try and spec for 2GB rather than just 1. That way as my models get more complex I'll be ready.

Sarissi
12/03/2006, 15h29
When I did the specs for my current CGI box, I already had a particular motherboard and video card in mind:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 and PNY nVidia Quadro FX500 AGP.

The workstation card only has 128 MB. However, the concept of OpenGL in workstation cards is for preview only, so memory is not that much of an issue. I also made sure that I had 2 GB RAM on the motherboard.

sparrownightmare
12/03/2006, 15h39
I came from one I built a few years ago and upgraded last year. AMD Athlon 64 3000+ on a Gigabyte Motherboard with 1GB of PC3200 DDR400 RAM. Nvidia chipset. Video was Nvidia GeForce FX5400 with 128MB of RAM. About 800GB of storage between 4 Drives, all ATA133 IDEs.

I agree with you on bloatware but C5 uses a lot of CPU horsepower and the extra GB of RAM does speed it up a bit. Not as much paging out to the Hard Disks. It is always better to get as much RAM as you can afford to begin with.

I have never been a big fam of Intel chips. I have always found the AMDs to be faster and more stable for less money.

PC2100 Memory is much slower than the newer PC3200 and even newer standards coming into the market now. DDR533 etc. Faster RAM along with as much CPU horsepower as you can get will really speed up the system in general and make a noticeable improvement in all 3D apps. Keep in mind I use other 3D apps as well as C5. Maya is probably the biggest Memory hog of the bunch, and more RAM has definitely helped there.

Rich:hi:

Thomas, in these days of lots of RAM and disk space bloatware is everywhere :( .

Sparrownightmare, what machine did you come from? I'm running a P4 2.0 Ghz with a 1GB of PC2100 RAM. I'm thinking of upgrading but I'm not sure if I'll get enough speed increase to justify the cost. I was looking at the Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200 with 1GB of RAM to start with then get another gig of RAM if necessary. My main focus would be to decrease render times.

As an aside, why so much RAM? I never seem to run out but I don't use a lot of hi-res textures at the moment. What sort of things would I need the extra gig for?

-ash-
12/03/2006, 16h35
Thanks for the replies. My current system was spec'd for digital audio hence the need to upgrade the graphic card. Intel was the preferred platform as defined by the software, Emagic Logic Audio.

Been doing a lot of reading recently and AMD Dual Core seems to be the best choice at the moment. I'm very much into keeping things quiet as well so I'm researching that too but it does add to the cost.

sparrownightmare
12/03/2006, 16h40
Check out www.xoxide.com (http://www.xoxide.com) They have a lot of products to help you reduce noise in a system. I buy from them a lot and they have excellent service.

Rich:w00t:

Thanks for the replies. My current system was spec'd for digital audio hence the need to upgrade the graphic card. Intel was the preferred platform as defined by the software, Emagic Logic Audio.

Been doing a lot of reading recently and AMD Dual Core seems to be the best choice at the moment. I'm very much into keeping things quiet as well so I'm researching that too but it does add to the cost.

-ash-
12/03/2006, 17h19
Check out www.xoxide.com (http://www.xoxide.com) They have a lot of products to help you reduce noise in a system. I buy from them a lot and they have excellent service.

Rich:w00t:

Thanks Rich, just come back in from clearing the snow so we can get the car out in the morning to finde your reply. Been snowing all day here in Dundee.

I had a quick look at xoxide but they don't ship outside the US. We do have a place called QuietPC.com here in the UK though that do a fair range of quiet stuff.

sparrownightmare
12/03/2006, 17h20
Also, there is always Ebay :):w00t:

Thanks Rich, just come back in from clearing the snow so we can get the car out in the morning to finde your reply. Been snowing all day here in Dundee.

I had a quick look at xoxide but they don't ship outside the US. We do have a place called QuietPC.com here in the UK though that do a fair range of quiet stuff.

-ash-
12/03/2006, 17h31
Also, there is always Ebay :):w00t:

That there is, though, if I can afford it, I like to get a warranty. That way if anything goes wrong I can get a replacement.

Worked well for me when a processor upgrade went wrong and the guy that built the machine for me replaced the MB free of charge. Unfortunately they seem to be going out of business so I'm planning to build my own this time. I've never done it before but if all works out then I'll know exactly what is going on inside the box. That way I'll be able to fix any problems myself rather then relying on someone else :)

sparrownightmare
12/03/2006, 17h41
I know what you mean. Fortunately I have had good experiences online so far. Most of the parts for my current rig were purchased on Ebay with a few of the pricier ones purchased at Newegg.com Newegg has the best prices around and good service. Building one isn't that difficult. It takes longer to install the OS than to do the physical assembly. I did have one issue with this box and found out that Abit motherboards do not like Micron RAM :) So I just replaced the RAM and everything was perfect.:nuke:

That there is, though, if I can afford it, I like to get a warranty. That way if anything goes wrong I can get a replacement.

Worked well for me when a processor upgrade went wrong and the guy that built the machine for me replaced the MB free of charge. Unfortunately they seem to be going out of business so I'm planning to build my own this time. I've never done it before but if all works out then I'll know exactly what is going on inside the box. That way I'll be able to fix any problems myself rather then relying on someone else :)

-ash-
12/03/2006, 17h49
It takes longer to install the OS than to do the physical assembly.

Nice to know that. Between my own and my son's PCs I've installed OS's many times, from Windoze95 to XP lol

Also, I've installed hard drives, cd drives, fans, RAM and processors just never the whole thing before. I just need to make sure everything will work together. Since I haven't kept up with the latest hardware this will mean a lot of research o_O:unsure::huh::ermm: lol

sparrownightmare
12/03/2006, 17h51
If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Hardware changes so fast today that it can be hard to keep up.:whatever:

Nice to know that. Between my own and my son's PCs I've installed OS's many times, from Windoze95 to XP lol

Also, I've installed hard drives, cd drives, fans, RAM and processors just never the whole thing before. I just need to make sure everything will work together. Since I haven't kept up with the latest hardware this will mean a lot of research o_O:unsure::huh::ermm: lol

-ash-
12/03/2006, 17h54
If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Hardware changes so fast today that it can be hard to keep up.:whatever:

Thanks very much. I'll get a spec together then post it for feedback. Cheers.

Sarissi
13/03/2006, 01h34
When installing the cpu heatsink/fan, don't push down on the top of it. Just use your hand on the side of it to hold in place while using the other hand to get the clip engaged on the socket hook (valid at least through AMD Socket A).

Generally, all connectors inside the case are labelled, and the motherboard manual will help you alot.

The first time is 'fun'. Just take your time and handle parts gently.