PDA

Voir la version complčte : Suggestion for PolyLoop

Nate Owens
27/07/2007, 03h07
Not sure where to post this, but will try it here.

One small annoyance I have with Polyloop is having to scroll all the way to the top of (sometimes long) pages to get to the navigation bar - the one that says Home - Forum - Gallery, etc. - a simple solution would be to put that part and the polyloop header (orange thingy) in a frame. This works on my site and I've seen it on many others. Keeps the navigation tools to the site in easy access for the visitors. The pages scroll up under the navigation bar - it stays put. :hi:

bwtr
27/07/2007, 03h48
Yes please!

Thomas
27/07/2007, 11h50
The forum organisation will be rework very soon, with still some scrolles, but less I hope.
FYI, I won't use frames, it's not good for the navigation (some back features of some browsers quit the website and go to the previous url...)

transient
28/07/2007, 03h10
Would it be possible to have a "go to top" button in the message panel, maybe next to the quote icon? This isn't what was asked for, but it might be an okay compromise.

Sketchy
28/07/2007, 03h44
Not sure where to post this, but will try it here.

One small annoyance I have with Polyloop is having to scroll all the way to the top of (sometimes long) pages to get to the navigation bar - the one that says Home - Forum - Gallery, etc. - a simple solution would be to put that part and the polyloop header (orange thingy) in a frame. This works on my site and I've seen it on many others. Keeps the navigation tools to the site in easy access for the visitors. The pages scroll up under the navigation bar - it stays put. :hi:There is one at the bottom. It's a pull-down menu that says Forum Jump.

http://forums.polyloop.net/imagehosting/567446aa9f028f172.jpg

Thomas
28/07/2007, 11h12
I just added a "top" link in all post infobar (the orange one with the post date)

crazy wabbit
28/07/2007, 13h33
Thomas is there a unsubscribe button as well? Sometimes I have to do that from my emails when I get a reply to a post.

laughingnome
28/07/2007, 15h17
The Top link works fine Thomas:happy:
neat.

stu

Nate Owens
28/07/2007, 15h20
Good solution, Thomas

jawra
28/07/2007, 19h05
The best working buttons for me are HOME,END,PG_UP,PG_DOWN on my keyboard. :hi:

crazy wabbit
30/07/2007, 15h38
Here is a tip for scrolling up and down a long page.

Hit space bar (Down)

Shift Sapce bar (up)

AWBenson
31/07/2007, 21h21
Well, I don't know how much control over the site you have, assuming you are using a CMS, but you could use a CSS trick within a DIV to enable scrolling within the div. Then you can then place the top area like normal then use a div below with the CSS scrolling set and have JavaScript to collect data as to what the screen resolution of the viewer is and resize the div (with the scrolling) to match the screen (or window) resolution height minus the amount for the top area. This will make the page look like frames, but it is all one page.

shoeach
01/08/2007, 04h54
The "Top" Link in infobar is convenient.

BTW, I didn’t notice this function (attached below) at all up to now.:blush2:
“AMAPI PRO 8” style is so fresh.

Syuichi

Thomas
01/08/2007, 09h27
Style isn't done, that's whay I didn't announced it yet :)
The navbar isn't done and some styles to edit. I also have to update all the forum engine with the last version, then I will do it all at the same time.

Varsel
01/08/2007, 18h33
If I might jump in with another litle thing.:blush2:

What about a links page. Where one could find external links to things like blueprints, softwaremakers, pluggins etc....

Sorry to hijacking this post...:flower:

laughingnome
03/08/2007, 00h00
The "Top" Link in infobar is convenient.

BTW, I didn’t notice this function (attached below) at all up to now.:blush2:
“AMAPI PRO 8” style is so fresh.

Syuichi

thats the "old" Amapi.net style Syuichi not Amapi 8:shiny:
a much cleaner look:) and one i will return to once its finished:shiny:

stu

shoeach
03/08/2007, 06h33
thats the "old" Amapi.net style Syuichi not Amapi 8:shiny:

I didn’t know Amapi.net style was so.:blush:

Thank you for pointing it out, stu. :)

Syuichi

Thomas
03/08/2007, 10h01
Stu : it's a new style, even if it's inspired by the original Amapi.net style I made a long time ago :) (it's not the same forum engine)

laughingnome
03/08/2007, 22h21
Stu : it's a new style, even if it's inspired by the original Amapi.net style I made a long time ago :) (it's not the same forum engine)

:) i know its it a new forum engine Thomas:p :p :p and you already know my thoughts on polyloop style and evoia style, i always preferred the amapi.net style:shiny: its just good to see it coming back as a new version/option:happy: :happy: :happy:

stu

Nate Owens
04/08/2007, 00h19
Everyone has an opinion... so why not pitch in with another one...

I like the Eovia style.
:happy: It is easier on the eyes.
:happy: It lets the color hotspots on the page be in the art in the posts, and does not put hot color elements in the borders and navigation bars that compete with the info and artwork in the posts.

My two cents.

laughingnome
05/08/2007, 00h11
Everyone has an opinion... so why not pitch in with another one...

I like the Eovia style.
:happy: It is easier on the eyes.
:happy: It lets the color hotspots on the page be in the art in the posts, and does not put hot color elements in the borders and navigation bars that compete with the info and artwork in the posts.

My two cents.

no worries Nate:) its just an option after all, didnt like the Eovia look nor the Polyloop look myself, Thomas already knows this:p , its just nice to see the old Amapi.net style reinvented.
its an option ill use:happy:

stu

tonytrout
07/08/2007, 10h04
Awww just found the Eovia style :happy: Just call me old fashioned

Nate Owens
07/08/2007, 14h49
Good color design is good color design.
Classical ('old fashioned' to some) is what is left when the winds of change die down and the dust clears. Kind of like 'truth,' which some think is what you tailor to suit your need of the moment... but is like gravity (hard to argue with). I will hop down from my soapbox now and go back to work :happy:

Varsel
25/08/2007, 21h21
:blush2: Just a question.. how to do that ?
I might be missing something, whould't be the first time.

Thomas
25/08/2007, 21h36
It should be ok now, bad permissions :)

Varsel
25/08/2007, 22h11
Ok, the link "Add Entry" is back. But I'm not one of the priveliges one :crying2:

Or maybe that is actually a god idea. Perhaps a moderator should verify links before they are posted.
Should also perhaps have a "report bad/unaproirated(?) link" button.

crazy wabbit
26/08/2007, 00h41
Can we have a Wabbit club?:hi:

achrystie
01/09/2007, 02h00
Since you're changing the forum design, I came up with an idea that has always been somewhat of an obstacle/divider in this forum that is, overall, a pretty good place to come to talk to artists/3D/CG people.

One of the biggest disappointments for me is looking through the French side of the forum and seeing such great artwork, as well as some potentially good conversations, and only being able to understand a "little" of what is going on. I mostly feel afraid to put any posts in there because my French is so poor. The extent of my French education ended about 18 years ago and I can remember only enough to say/type some very basic stuff without looking through sites and dictionaries for long periods of time. I can use something like babelfish, but those translations typically turn out pretty poorly it seems, particularly when the content is more "conversational".

So...my idea is this...how about a "language lessons" forum section between both sides of the forum? It would be a place where people can go and read and put posts up, with translations, to learn basic conversational french and english, as well as some of the art/CG terminology as it relates to both languages. You could tie it in with critique/artwork too.
So I could post a WIP image, type my questions and comments about my work in english, then try and translate it to french myself, then french users could critique my artwork and feel free to critique my "french" as well...and if french users posted, we could do the same for their work and their english, and then we'd all be learning and speaking together a lot more. You could also have a french/english "word or saying of the day" and maybe translated CG news from and for both languages, all kept in the same place.
There are of course a lot of french users that seem to write english a lot better than I write french...but everyone can probably learn something. :)

Just an idea that might offer a unique twist to the forum.

ABC

shoeach
01/09/2007, 06h48
Hi achrystie,

Good idea!!:)

How about integration of WIP threads of French and English part together? You can start a WIP thread or reply to it by French or English as you prefer to. However, you must try to post it as plain as possible for members of whom native languages are not French/English. This means consideration for me.:p
It’ll save your time to translate into French or English.
This is only my ideal.

Anyway, I think your idea is very interesting even if it’s difficult to be achieved right now.:flower:

Polyloop seems to change its organization.
I look forward renewed Polyloop.

Syuichi

Thomas
01/09/2007, 09h24
well,I"m not against the idea to put the WIP section for both french and english, but I have to do a poll to be sure that all members are agree with that. Having a dedicated forum ony for that, why not, but it's really off topic. I wee what we can do for that, but keep in mind that if just two members are using it, it willbe closed.

bwtr
01/09/2007, 10h08
Thomas. Can you PLEASE find a really good , better,way of interpereting the French into English!

It's really superior posting and information that just wont interpret with the current system.

(At 75 I just can not cope with learning a new language!)

Thomas
01/09/2007, 10h34
Except asking Google to improve their translation engine, I don't have any idea!

tonytrout
01/09/2007, 11h58
I have no real issues with the way the forums are now... so I will go along with the majority, its no biggy :) Possibly the delegated software forums need a bit of tidying up