PDA

Voir la version complète : UV mapping with other apps.

crazy wabbit
08/06/2007, 16h53
Well we know that hex and carrara are a little handicap with uv mapping, so I wanted to get your opinion on doing the mapping in other apps. What would you say is a good program and easy one to do the mapping, remember I said easy, Modo, Z or other ones out there.

juanmanuel
08/06/2007, 17h20
Try Silo2. It is in open public beta now, meaning free, at least until the final relase comes out

crazy wabbit
08/06/2007, 17h32
Try Silo2. It is in open public beta now, meaning free, at least until the final relase comes out

Silo does UV mapping?o_O

Hugo
08/06/2007, 22h00
Blender do it well for me. (and it's free)
Hexagon is a bit stranger but result are pretty close.

I really like Maxon Cinema4D/Bodypaint

Nate Owens
09/06/2007, 00h47
I'd be interested in this as well.
If we're talking stand-alone apps, I've heard of (haven't used them) several that do the unwrapping... like Road Kill, UV Unwrapper... others I can't think of. I need to work on this... making seams, skinning the bear, etc....

The wabbit avatar is evolving... should have a little light inside his mouth... light up his hangy-down-thing in back of throat... maybe a pair of eyes glowing in the dark back there.... :w00t:

Dann-O
09/06/2007, 01h03
I use Wings UV mapper which works pretty good once you get used to it. Wings is a nice price of free. UV mapper classic I have too used to use it quit ea bit it does cover a couple things wings don't do. What kidn of stuff do you plan on UV mapping? I like wings for organic stuff. UV mapper works better for mechanical stuff that needs cylindrical or box mapping.

crazy wabbit
09/06/2007, 01h08
Dann-O Mostly for day to day unwrapping, I have heard lot about modo,
To be honest the easier it is the better. I am hoping hex will improve on all their uv bugs.

Nate: the wabbit is grabbed of the internet, i did not make it.
He is a crazy wabbit.

:hi:

bwtr
09/06/2007, 01h31
Silo2 beta is not free. You have to buy Silo1.4 first.

What is wrong with the long time Free version of "UV Mapper" by Steve Cox?
(The Pro version is top notch )

Dann-O
09/06/2007, 01h57
Mondo is out of my price range. Blender and Wings is; so I use wings and the free version of UV mapper. Road Kill is a stand alone version of the UV mapper in Blender from what I heard. I heard a lot of good things abotu it but I also heard it can't handle lots of polygons. For me it is easier to use wings because that is where I model.

crazy wabbit
09/06/2007, 02h17
uv mapper pro, well you can say I really liked the auto unwrapper for modo

rickei
09/06/2007, 03h43
Well we know that hex and carrara are a little handicap with uv mapping, so I wanted to get your opinion on doing the mapping in other apps. What would you say is a good program and easy one to do the mapping, remember I said easy, Modo, Z or other ones out there.

Even though they can be a little frustrating at times, I like Hex. and Carrara for UV's

If I can't do it in Hex I use Zbrush with Zaplink.

I have never used UV mapper pro or any of the others mentioned. I'm on Mac and we don't have any other standalone Auto UV tools...that I know of.

I don't really trust automatic unwrapping anyway. how does it know what the focal point of the model will be, so how can it put the pins and seams exactly where I need them? plus I usually don't need all pieces of the map to be sized the same. if your not going to see it on the model, then i don't want it taking up valuable real estate on the map. then again, I haven't used any of these so I could be wrong in this point

UV mapping is an art within itself, and is probably the biggest separator between a good 3d artist and a great one(i'm neither of these). It requires a pretty good knowledge of 3d and 2d tools and thought processes. It can be tricky at times, but the rewards for learning it are definitely worth the work involved.

:hi:

crazy wabbit
09/06/2007, 04h31
recki you made me really want to get down with my paws and learn uv mapping now, I think I like to learn it the hard way now. nice...:hi::w00t:

transient
09/06/2007, 06h38
Silo2 beta is not free. You have to buy Silo1.4 first.

The silo 2 beta is open for everyone now. I want to have a look at it but I don't have time.

I use Blender for complex uv mapping. It's a bit tricky, but also very easy and powerful when you figure it out.

Roadkill has a nice feature that shows the amount of stretching a map has, but I found it to be too slow and is basically the same as Blender feature-wise.

tonytrout
09/06/2007, 06h39
I like hex for Uvs since I also model in it. I have UV unwrapper pro too but rarely use it now.

Zbrush has an automatic UV tiler which is instant pushbutton as long as you paint and texture in zbrush works fine, but makes a tiled texture map so you cant touch it up in photoshop

Tried out the modo demo has pretty good uv tools but didnt get proficient enough to work out if they were any better than hex. Its a lot of money to pay just for UV tools.

crazy wabbit
09/06/2007, 13h38
hmmm, nice to know all this.

Plum
09/06/2007, 16h21
Hiya.

So far, I'm keen on the old stand by; UltimateUnwrap3D ( http://www.unwrap3d.com/ ). It's pretty easy to use, and has a lot of features...most of which I haven't really used yet, but it's nice to know they are there. :)

I don't mind Hex's take on UVing, really. I haven't really gotten into it simply because I'm used to UU3D. *shrug* I do like painting in Bodypaint when I get a chance to use it. :) I just don't have the $$$ to pick it up...yet... :)

Nate Owens
09/06/2007, 23h23
Which of the unwrappers will save pins and other info?
We know that Hex does not save these..

Thanks... trying to narrow down the field

juanmanuel
10/06/2007, 03h13
Silo2 will, when saving to it's own format.
BTW I also use unwrap3d for those uvmap features I don't find in Silo. And also is an excellent 3d file converter.

Nate Owens
10/06/2007, 14h10
cool beans (whatever that means?)
Will have to take another look at unwrap
thanks!