PDA

Voir la version complète : Tell me about Blender

crazy wabbit
19/05/2007, 17h04
Hi, I need someone to tell me how Blender all started and where it is going.
Who does the programming, are they getting paid?

Who owns the program?

Pete Exxtreme
19/05/2007, 17h07
Usually wikipedia is useful for that kind of question :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)

jbshorty
19/05/2007, 18h53
From what i remember, Blender was the internally written program for a large animating company somwhere in the Scandinavian (?) area. The company went belly up, and decided they had worked too hard to let Blender just get locked up in a file somewhere. So they released it as freeware. And, nobody gets paid anymore for developing it. Every bit of development time is volunteered. That's truly an amazing thing, to see so many talented programmers donating their time on it. There's really not much that Blender can't do. But what you save in $$$, you pay back in a steep learning curve...

shorty

Nichod
19/05/2007, 21h01
From what i remember, Blender was the internally written program for a large animating company somwhere in the Scandinavian (?) area. The company went belly up, and decided they had worked too hard to let Blender just get locked up in a file somewhere. So they released it as freeware. And, nobody gets paid anymore for developing it. Every bit of development time is volunteered. That's truly an amazing thing, to see so many talented programmers donating their time on it. There's really not much that Blender can't do. But what you save in $$$, you pay back in a steep learning curve...

shorty

Not entirely true. Blender's main programmer, Ton is paid for his time managing the operation. But probably 70% of the coding now is volunteer. If you have any questions I'm happy to help. I'm an editor at Blendernation and have been using Blender since it was first available. At one point you had to purchase a key to use it.

jbshorty
19/05/2007, 22h23
Hmmm. I didn't realize that someone actually did get paid for writing freeware. I wonder where that money comes in from?

Nichod
19/05/2007, 22h28
Hmmm. I didn't realize that someone actually did get paid for writing freeware. I wonder where that money comes in from?

Blender is not freeware. Its opensource. There is a difference.

The money comes from the sale of the Blender book, Blender shirts, etc from the Blender shop. As well as from grants. Europe offers a large amount of grants to open source developers and development.

crazy wabbit
20/05/2007, 04h23
I think it is amazing the path that blender has taken, The images produced with it rivals that of other software. Will it continue on its path or stop?

Is there a large user base?
:flower: