PDA

Voir la version complète : Starting a business?

Magian
15/03/2007, 17h01
Boy is this a loaded question...

Anyway, I am endeavouring to start my own design business here in the metropolis of Beckley, WV. :sos:

At this point I am trying to formulate a plan and determine the scope of the business. From this point on my intentions are to start focusing on creating content that will support whatever plan I outline. In other words, I want to stop meandering around in projects that I dream up that do not lend themselves very well to the goals I wish to achieve.

So the next logical question is: What are the goals? Or even: What is the plan? The answer to this question is presently stifling me, as I am sure it does for many others. Am I better off keeping a broad scope and offering a wide array of design services? I realize there are negatives to this approach, but my concern is that it may be the best alternative in my geographical location because three primary reasons: (1) The low population (2) The lack of designers (3) The poor economy of the region.

Alternatively, am I perhaps better off narrowing my scope to just a few key services that are closely related? Perhaps even just one service?

Now, let me change the course of this post somewhat. In my opinion (and I mean no disrespect to anyone else who may do this because this is meant only for me) it is very self-serving of me to post questions such as these and expect other amateur / professional designers to take the time read and respond with helpful, well thought-out replies. Because of this I would like to say that I would be very happy to collaborate with anyone who is also interested in this topic and help in any way possible. You want to operate a business? Would you like to discuss general aspects or ideas of business with others and get honest feedback? Perhaps I can help with questions about or requests regarding other things. Business-related. Content-related. Anything I can help with.
:warning: Now back to the original theme of this post.

Presently on a business card that I have done it lists the following generalized services:

Corporate ID
Page Layout
Web Design
Visualization
Memorabilia
Graphics
Audio
I worry that this list is (1) Too general and (2) Too broad in scope. Note: I realize that those two terms are nearly synonymous but I do mean them somewhat differently in each instance.

My software skills include:

Carrara Studio 5
Hexagon 2
Sonar 3 Producer
Photoshop CS2
Illustrator CS2
InDesign CS2
In closing, I would like to say that I realize that this is a very big request. Perhaps I don't need to say it, but I am very serious and I am more than willing to help in any way I can. I am using this approach for a few reasons: (1) I have not studied design in college though I do have a 4-year degree in Computer Science. Still, I have not had the opportunity to meet and collaborate with anyone interested in this industry. (2) Because of my geographical location, my opportunites locally are severely limited. I really have no way to expose myself to the industry. What I mean is that I have no way here to familiarize myself with the inner workings of a design company. There are a couple of screen printing places and, of course, we have the obligatory office supply store with printing capabilities. However, I think that leaves a lot to be desired...