PDA

Voir la version complète : Rhino-4

Couerl
07/03/2007, 03h12
So what does a $800.00 dollar program have that my buggy little $1.99.00 won't do? ;)

I'm just curious about the initial reactions, thoughts, observations, inspirations or just whatever you want to say about Rhino-4. Do you like it and why or do you think you got ripped off or is it worth it for the novice modeler to get?

Any thoughts or perspectives are welcome on Rhino here. :)

Thomas
07/03/2007, 14h20
I think it's not easy to do a comparaison between Hexagon and Rhino :)

Couerl
07/03/2007, 17h03
Hehe, ya I know. I just want to see what Rhino can do more or less.. Is it fast to work in, are people happy, that sort of thing. :)

I'm doing Modo demo for another 20 days or so, but so far I can't see why I need that either.

I have a hard time justifying $800.00 for a modeler, but I guess a lot of folks need that kind of accuracy or something. I'm just curious to know what that something is.

First Gear Territories
07/03/2007, 17h36
I've been using Rhino since the beta of version 1.

I found myself using it over the years to solve many of the problems which I had previously with the Ray Dream Studio/Carrara modeling tools.

At present, 99% of the characters and props seen in the artwork on my site is created with Rhino, from original physical sculptures that I have rebuilt in the application.

Have a look:

http://www.firstgearterritories.com/

Here is my working process:

http://www.firstgearterritories.net/HTML/Source_Code/INDEX.htm

Hope this helps!

jbshorty
07/03/2007, 19h20
Couerl, you are a troublemaker lol... I agree with Thomas. It's really impossible to compare these 2 programs, since their objective as modeling programs is so different... From my point of view, the advancements in Rhino 4 can not be measured solely on the toolset (as many people would think several hundred new features, and improvements to nearly every tool is quite impressive already!). There have been major rewrites to the core of Rhino, to the display pipeline, to the SDK, and to the RDK. what this means is that new Rhino features (and plug-ins) will be developing faster than ever before. As i was told by one of the programmers "You haven't seen anything yet... " ...So let's look at some major areas where R4 has seen improvements:

**Curve creation - R3 already had very powerful tools for drawing curves. Now R4 takes this much further. New features such as Smart Tracking (inferred construction lines) make drawing super quick. Other new features include bezier curves, curve symmetry, adjustable blends up to G4, subcurve tools, curve booleans, soft editing, fixed length editing (like playing with string, i love that tool).

**Surface creation - History is now enabled for most surfacing operations (not sweep unfortunately, but there is a workaround). Surface blends are interactively adjustable up to G4, and you can add additional handles to develop non-linear blends. Blends can be chained across unjoined curves, and moved to any point along the chain... Some other nice features are mirrored symmetry across any axis, variable surface offset, extruding a curve along surface normal vectors (think of using Hexagon's stretch tool with "Normal" option to extrude a curve away from the surface)... Other nifty tools include soft moving of control points. For this, you can also use other objects to drive the movement. For example, select a curve as the ref object, set the influence radius, then move. The selected surface points will follow the movement to reveal a "curve" shape in the surface.

**Solid creation - History enabled for methods such as extruding a curve. New methods such as creating solids from interseting surfaces (manifold volume).

**Solid editing - Many improvements in this area. You can now boolean objects which share edes and faces. You can move holes, copy holes, rotate holes, delete holes, array holes. Draw a curve on the CPlane, and then place it as a hole in an object... there is direct editing of solid objects (limited mostly to untrimmed faces). Such as directly moving, rotating, scaling of edges and faces. This is not a history based object rebuild. Rhino actually moves the subobject entity... Variable fillets and chamfers have been added too. Add new handles where ever you need, slide them around if you like, grab radius handle and drag to set radius, or enter radius from keyboard... Other nice features for industrial designers are the Rib and Boss commands.

**UDT - As a modeler, this is R4's crown jewel. you can now morph and deform curves, meshes, surfaces, and polysurfaces! This is unlike any other Nurbs modeler, which depend on a history based rebuild. Rhino actually morphs and rebuilds the object. Import a nurbs model, and deform in Rhino... Deformations include stretching, bending, twisting, maelstrom (vortex), flowing along a curve, flowing from one surface to another, splopping on a surface (the new object can deform to new base curvature), and cage editing. For cage editing, you can use other objects as the control cage- including other surfaces, edges, selfedges, or curves). Or define a new cage object. Radius of influence can also be adjusted, so it can be applied to just one area of a solid model... combine these deforms with history enabled, and you can now model in planar space, and carry the changes to the morphed model... Morphs can be applied to HUNDREDS of objects at one time. this has saved me hours of complicated model work.

**Mesh Modeling - Lots of improvements here. Mesh Booleans, Trim meshes with Nurbs objects (and vice versa), project curves onto meshes, fill holes with mesh patches. I am sure there are more, although i don't use these mesh tools very often... Rhino has better mesh decimation tools than any other 3D program i've used. You can decimate by edge length, aspect ratio, face area, etc. Very useful if you have heavy meshes which you need to reduce for animating. Rhino of course has great tools for repairing bad meshes produced in other programs, necessary if you plan to manufacture the part or rapid prototype it.

**display pipeline - nearly every detail of the UI and display can now be customized. and i mean everthing, right down to seperate controls for adjusting edge thickness, edge color, naked edge display, seperate UV colors for isoparm display, backface display, backface culling, etc for any type of object and set individually within a custom shade mode. This list could go on and on and on. One thing not apparent to most Rhino users is the control for setting Antialias levels. That's a hidden gem, which McNeel doesn't promote as a major feature... Shading display modes can be assigned to individual objects within individual viewports.

**Real-time texture mapping - Texturing and environment mapping is all viewable in real time as you model, with no slowdown in redraw speed (not that i've seen). Textures can be projected across mutliple objects, you can move maps around just by grabbing the mapping widget and transforming with standard commands as if it were a real object. huge timesaver when compared to R3 mapping tools.

**New printing interface

**Better dimensioning and annotation tools

**"Line styles" for curve objects. You can also create custom styles. assignable by object or layer.

**Layer States can now be saved and restored (think of PS's Layer Comps). Go nuts and experiment with different material/layer arrangements.

**Object positions can now be saved and restored (no more arranging copies of objects for rendering :) )

**CPlanes can now be assigned to individual objects and refreshed at the touch of a button. There are many new tools for setting up Cplanes, and switching between them. Import/Export Cplanes from other model files.

**Dual Monitor support. Unrestricted viewport layouts. Floating viewports. Import/Export viewport layouts from other model files.

**You can now run a 3D printer directly from Rhino.

**import/export - i didn't think it was possible, but yes they have added new formats.

**every function of Rhino is now scriptable and nestable. McNeel has released a beta of a new script-editor called "Monkey" which debugs your scripts. If Rhino doesn't have the tools you need, then learn to write VBscript!

There are more 3rd party tools in development (not included with Rhino). Such as Penguin (McNeel's cel-shading and line-rendering engine). Penguin 2 (beta) operates in real-time within Rhino 4, and can be combined with other rendering engines for final output. McNeel is also developing the front end of Splutterfish's "Brazil" rendering engine. So it will be seemlessly integrated within Rhino's interface... there is also the developing T-Splines technology that will bring sub-d style workflow to organic nurbs modeling. T-splines also converts polygonal meshes to nurbs models in a single click. And the new TS Network Surfacing will build complete models from vast networks of curves... And as usual, if you own Rhino 4, you will be using the Rhino 5 beta as soon as the first alpha build is ready... Hurry up, Bob. It's been 2 weeks already :[ !

OK, i sound like a salesman for McNeel now lol . But yes i do love R4. the price is now $995 (although it is being offered online for $845) so the price is quite high for the novice modeler. My suggestion is that if it's out of budget you can enroll in school and buy a student version of Rhino for just $195. Unlike other software, this is a FULL COMMERCIAL version of Rhino. You are allowed to use it for commercial work!!! So who ever said that school was a waste of time?!

Couerl
07/03/2007, 20h14
Wow, I had to read it twice. Thanks very much for all the details Shorty. :)
I echo Stu's remarks on wanting to see some screen caps and stuff, not because its mandatory or anything like that, just curious to see some modeling done in Rhino-4 and not just the website promo stuff.

I search around Google for different things a lot that might be interesting to model and I love Hex and all, but I do want something more powerful to grow into someday like Amapi or Rhino. When I look at sites like this I just get all teary eyed and wish I had such capability.
http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/models/ships/HMS_Dreadnought/

Check out some of this stuff! :w00t:

Sketchy
07/03/2007, 22h02
Good thingy about Rhino is that you can download a demo version that is no different from the licensed, fully functional one. It doesn't expire and it saves 25 times, which is more than enough for learning purposes. Since I don't have the time to explore it in depth, I have no compelling urge to buy it. I was tempted, though, when version 4 was offered for free once you buy Rhino 3, which in itself is just as powerful as any NURBS app out there.

There's no doubt that Rhino 4 is packed with features and has become more powerful than ever. Thing is, most of us will never going to use all of those features. If you're into a working environment where everything has to be precise to a fraction of a milimeter, then get Rhino. Otherwise, go for what you're comfortable with. Poly/subd is just as powerful as NURBS modeling.

I downloaded Rhino 4 just a couple of hours ago. It doesn't even require you to type an email address or put tick marks on those survey forms. You can actually skip them.

Since I've played with Amapi Pro 7.5 for some time. I was tinkering with Rhino 4 looking for a ONE VIEWPORT workflow, which I have learned to prefer like in Hex or Amapi. I still can't figure how. I doodled some primitives here and there, filleted edges, applied booleans, and so on. My initial conclusion is that Amapi does have its own unique strenghts. The Dynamic Geometry (DG) is one. How do you like applying fillets or chamfers, then change the size later? Or move the boolean difference and see the object updated in real time! Rhino 4 now has a HISTORY feature. I don't think it's as powerful as Amapi's DG.

Thomas
07/03/2007, 22h10
(the price of Rhino didn't increase?)

jbshorty
07/03/2007, 23h04
Since I've played with Amapi Pro 7.5 for some time. I was tinkering with Rhino 4 looking for a ONE VIEWPORT workflow, which I have learned to prefer like in Hex or Amapi. I still can't figure how. I doodled some primitives here and there, filleted edges, applied booleans, and so on. My initial conclusion is that Amapi does have its own unique strenghts. The Dynamic Geometry (DG) is one. How do you like applying fillets or chamfers, then change the size later? Or move the boolean difference and see the object updated in real time! Rhino 4 now has a HISTORY feature. I don't think it's as powerful as Amapi's DG.

Sketchy - I am planning to post a link soon to download my complete R4 UI setup (including MANY self-written macros, shade modes, custom toolbars, file templates, etc). The main purpose of this UI was to enable a single viewport workflow. I never use multiple viewports anymore. I do everything in perspective view. Firstly, i have no docked toolbars anywhere. Secondly, i created one main toolbar can be opened with MMB click. All of my commonly used toolbars are accessed from there. There is also a unique hotkey assignment for each "sub"toolbar so you can avoid the main popup. the "sub"toolbars are consolidated versions of the standards. For example, all curve tools are in one palette. All solid tools are in one palette. Render/Lighting tools are in one palette. you get the idea... Combine this with RMB programmable context menus (i forgot to mention that new feature!) and the result is a bare-bones interface which I think is more similar to Silo than than it is to Rhino. In fact that was my plan, to emulate Silo for Nurbs modeling. I would encourage you to try it once it is posted (still busy writing new toolbars, and working on the documentation). You could just install my options.ini file and the toolbars which will cost you 2 saves. But i think that installing all of the UI components and shade modes will cost you about 20 saves. Not to mention that many of my macro-tools do things such as automatically saving Cplanes so you will quickly eat up your saves... If you want to enable a single viewport workflow, use CTRL+TAB to flip through the main viewports. Or run the command "_ViewportTabs" (located in the layout toolbar) which will allow you to select a new viewport by LMB clicking on the appropriate tab. RMB clicking on a tab will reveal options to create as many tabs you want with custom viewport names and Cplane assignments. I hope that helps you!

History - Rhino's method (Like Moi's method) is not really "History" but should be called "Associativity". It doesn't work on things like booleans or filleting. DG is a definite advantage of Amapi. In general, filleting can be done at the late stages of a model. Booleans are something i've learned to work around, but still wish for someting better. NPower has a plugin which adds parametric booleans and fillets to Rhino but it costs about $400 (ouch!)...

jbshorty
07/03/2007, 23h06
(the price of Rhino didn't increase?)

$100 more than R3 (effective June 1st 2007)...

jbshorty
07/03/2007, 23h20
Wow, I had to read it twice. Thanks very much for all the details Shorty. :)
I echo Stu's remarks on wanting to see some screen caps and stuff, not because its mandatory or anything like that, just curious to see some modeling done in Rhino-4 and not just the website promo stuff.

I search around Google for different things a lot that might be interesting to model and I love Hex and all, but I do want something more powerful to grow into someday like Amapi or Rhino. When I look at sites like this I just get all teary eyed and wish I had such capability.
http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/models/ships/HMS_Dreadnought/

Check out some of this stuff! :w00t:

that's good stuff! My uncle used to hand-build remote controlled ship models of this detail (100% by hand including the little people). but he was a retired tool and die-maker for the aerospace industry, so this was second nature for him. When he was a teenager, he was already machining tank models made of steel. He made every single part, right down to the rivets and treads! Unbelieveable... I posted a couple of models last year done in R4. Here are the links to those posts. The bracelet was a real monster. 900+ surfaces i think. And all of those "wrinkles" are actually G1 tangent to the bracelet body!!! I promise i will try to get some new R4 models posted soon. I need to think of something really challenging. And not a monster head... :hi:

http://forums.polyloop.net/3d-work-progress-finished-works/9023-nurbs-cameo-button.html

http://forums.polyloop.net/3d-work-progress-finished-works/9153-nurbs-crinkled-bangle-bracelet.html

shorty

Pete Exxtreme
07/03/2007, 23h25
BTW i saw this bundle of Rhino4 + Mawxell Render, maybe the best rendering engine of the market :wub: :wub:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/ -> then Buy section :hi:

jbshorty
07/03/2007, 23h39
BTW i saw this bundle of Rhino4 + Mawxell Render, maybe the best rendering engine of the market :wub: :wub:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/ -> then Buy section :hi:

I saw this just a few days ago, after i'd already bought my R4. so i missed that one. Would have been nice if the Maxwell people had mentioned it to the Rhino community. Instead they only mentioned it to the Maxwell community :[ ...

PS - i just sent an e-mail to Next Limit to ask why they are keeping this secret...

Sketchy
07/03/2007, 23h59
That's what I wish Amapi Pro to have, an integration with Maxwell, Mental Ray or Vray without having to export the file to a OBJ for rendering. Most of the times the NURBS are in a messy state when exported. I still have to figure how to work around that.

jbshorty wrote: "Sketchy - I am planning to post a link soon to download my complete R4 UI setup (including MANY self-written macros, shade modes, custom toolbars, file templates, etc). The main purpose of this UI was to enable a single viewport workflow."

I'll be looking forward to that with wide-eyed wonder.:)

sailor-ed
08/03/2007, 03h46
Couerl,

The Dreadnought is a very nice model but I seriously don't see anything you couldn't do in Hexagon. Rhino might make some bits easier but most of the model is pretty straight forward.

Dann-O
08/03/2007, 07h44
Rhino really is not something that should be compared to Hexagon it is a CAD type program that does multimedia stuff too. Comparing to Amapi is quite fair they both serve the same purpose more or less. Saying that Hexagon is two dollars is misleading too. You can also get special deals on Rhino for students and the like, and you can use the program and save 25 times for free. I got Hexagon for free that does not mean it is free. So you are making an unfair comparison.

Rhino can be used to machine parts too it is a Cad program. So can Amapi. Can you use hexagon that way? No. What can I make with it well that is diferent but I personally use Wings for nearly everything even though I have proper versions of Hex and AC3D on my hard drive. Things can be a matter of taste and how they work too so that is a personal thing.

Couerl
08/03/2007, 08h36
Hey Ed, I figure Hex can handle around 1 mil poly's on my system without breaking down and I agree, the forms aren't necessarily too complicated, but the measurments and scales and working on individual elements and importing them to a master file makes me nervous to attempt it.
Plus it's just plain intimidating from a research perspective. Gathering all the data for everything to get it spec seems like months of work alone and then putting a plan together to build it all exactly to scale. I think work like this is extraordinary and would probably test my skills beyond their current ability.

Maybe someday though and that's more or less why I wanted to talk about Rhino and see what makes it so special.

Dann-O I wasn't really trying to compare Rhino to Hex or anything, it wasn't my intention, I just threw it out as an example...

So many people love wings, but I could never model much more than a cube in it... Hex to me is so much more friendly and efficient.

My next step will be Amapi-8 and then I'll see where my skills are in another year.

Thanks for all the great input. :)

Thomas
08/03/2007, 09h14
(we are looking for a way to integrate, or make an easy connection with Maxwell... perhaps not 8.0, but 8.0.x)

sailor-ed
08/03/2007, 14h29
I have to agree with you, Couerl, Hex does get a little spooky with high poly counts. I managed to overlook that even though I had some problems with my little ship model. I must learn to think twice, post once!:blush2:

Schbeurd
08/03/2007, 22h53
JBshorty !

I just have one question for you as I know you are a regular poster on MoI forum...
Why would a Rhino user also use MoI. I mean the new version of Rhino seems so powerful that I'd like to know where MoI seems more suited to meet your requirements. There's probably nothing in MoI that you can't do in Rhino so I wonder if it's a matter of workflow, ease of use or... ?

jbshorty
09/03/2007, 00h34
JBshorty !

I just have one question for you as I know you are a regular poster on MoI forum...
Why would a Rhino user also use MoI. I mean the new version of Rhino seems so powerful that I'd like to know where MoI seems more suited to meet your requirements. There's probably nothing in MoI that you can't do in Rhino so I wonder if it's a matter of workflow, ease of use or... ?

Hi Schbeurd! So far i have not used Moi to model anything. Because i am already very comfortable to do everything i want in Rhino, i would get very little benefit from learning to use both (even Michael has said this). But the kernel that is being liscensed from IntegrityWare is very powerful (same kernel for Rhino's Power Solids plug-in). So you know it can handle some tricky fillet situations. I use Moi occasionally to get past a little hiccup in Rhino's intersection code (which is much improved now, but still not perfect)... Also the UI of Moi is not to my liking (i have already voiced this in the Moi forums). I know it's a major attraction for some people, but it's not my cup of tea. I like Moi's streamlined toolset. I like it's auto-helpers. I like the mouse-over highlighting. What i don't like is how you can't turn these things off when you don't want them. I prefer to keep more control at my fingers. I like command line input. And i like using modifier keys to control snapping, ortho constraints, vertical dragging, etc... But i keep my eye on Moi because i think it has a lot of potential. I try to be helpful if i can to its users (many of them new to nurbs), even if i don't use the particular software for many things. And i'm glad that Moi captured the attention of many subd people who never wanted to learn Nurbs modeling. So that's why you see me posting over there... i think you are a Rhino user as well, no? Obviously a user of Amapi. So why do you use Moi ? :hi:

shorty

Schbeurd
10/03/2007, 14h05
i think you are a Rhino user as well, no? Obviously a user of Amapi. So why do you use Moi ? :hi:

shorty

Hi Shorty !

I'm not a Rhino user. But I've installed the demo of version 3 and experimented a lot with it. I think MoI will be sufficient for my modeling needs but I'm considering buying Rhino as well. That's the reason for my question.
I'm using Amapi Pro (I bought it not so long ago when there was a special offer for Polyloop.net members) but I don't really feel at ease with it. I'm using some functions that are currently not implemented in MoI like Coons and Gordons surfaces. I create the curves in MoI and then import the .3dm file in Amapi...

jbshorty
10/03/2007, 15h56
Hi Shorty !

I'm not a Rhino user. But I've installed the demo of version 3 and experimented a lot with it. I think MoI will be sufficient for my modeling needs but I'm considering buying Rhino as well. That's the reason for my question.
I'm using Amapi Pro (I bought it not so long ago when there was a special offer for Polyloop.net members) but I don't really feel at ease with it. I'm using some functions that are currently not implemented in MoI like Coons and Gordons surfaces. I create the curves in MoI and then import the .3dm file in Amapi...

Actually one of the other reasons i pay attention to Moi is that i hope it's direction will be a little different than Rhino, and this might reflect in it's toolset. Like today, i just noticed the new beta has added functions to slice up models using planar curves. These are very handy. I wrote some tools a few months ago to do all these things in R4. So Michael sees what is missing in Rhino the same as i see it too. One program will never be all things to everybody, so it's good to have choices... :hi:

Butch
10/03/2007, 17h57
I create the curves in MoI and then import the .3dm file in Amapi...
This is what I miss in AMAPI!
That easy, flexible creation of curves.
You click a starting point, enter distance and then move a cursor in any direction and just click to confirm the distance enetered in the begining...
Thats just the way it should BE!

WillBellJr
18/04/2007, 21h16
As a Rhino v2 owner, I'm glad to see v4 finally dropped!

It's so tempting to upgrade after seeing those videos - I've downloaded the v4 eval but I'm just wondering how v4 will work in my XSI and Lightwave pipelines?

I've always had issues with Rhino's tri-heavy exports. Granted, for mechanical models and stuff that won't bend, I guess that's a moot concern since ultimately everything is triangulated before render anyway...

But I do wonder if there's a format that I can use other than OBJ to import into XSI (and optionally Lightwave, Cararra) - I believe XSI supports Iges (have to check that again) but I'm just wondering what's being used here to render their Rhino models and what's their art pipeline?

I believe the upgrade for me is $295 v2 -> v4 so I'd prolly be a fool not to bite now before the deal is up and refresh my Rhino investment (I had NO interest at the v3 upgrade)

But being that I've invested in XSI, ZBrush and others, how many-a-modeler does a person need!??? :blush2:

-Will

jbshorty
18/04/2007, 21h34
But being that I've invested in XSI, ZBrush and others, how many-a-modeler does a person need!??? :blush2:

-Will

I think you have to make the decision based only on whether Rhino 2 satisfies your requirements for Nurbs modeling. It's not really comparable to a poly modeler...

shorty

WillBellJr
18/04/2007, 22h05
Agreed - I haven't used v2 in ages since I've moved on deeper into the poly world and that's my concern...

Obviously I'd be able to make mechanicals way faster in Rhino but my concern is getting those models into say XSI or LW and being able to texture/render them nicely (successfully).

I can certainly do my ship designs and models way faster in Rhino so that's the temptation for me to go back but again, if I can't get the models rendered then that's a waste of my time and monae.

Granted, I'll be making some tests tonite with the v4 beta but again, I was wondering what others were using to render?

I can't see myself buying Maxwell or the other Rhino renderers (for obvious reasons) but it would be nice to take a Rhino NURBS into XSI as a NURBS without loss of quality...

-Will

jbshorty
18/04/2007, 22h52
i am just starting to learn Modo rendering, but not sure if i will use it for my Rhino models. I'm considering to buy Maxwell or Brazil to handle my Rhino work. Not ready to make that decision yet... McNeel does have another rendering engine in development called Toucan. In fact, it is the core display engine of Rhino 4 and i was told they will resume development now that R4 is being shipped. It looks very promising. Some key features are SSS, DOF, Post-process DOF, Ambient Occlusion, Anisotropy, render passes, blurred reflections, caustics, etc...Follow this link to see some examples posted a while ago by one of Rhino's developers (before he started to work for McNeel). I wouldn't hold my breath on this one though, it could be a long while before Toucan sees the light of day. I am hoping McNeel will just stick those features into the base Toucan engine of Rhino :blush: ...

http://www.reconstructivism.net/

shorty

mayito7777
18/04/2007, 23h03
What is the problem with Flamingo? Is not a good renderer?

jbshorty
18/04/2007, 23h32
Not IMO. There is a public WIP of Flamingo 2 which addresses some of the shortcomings of Flamingo 1.1 (drag-n-drop, post-process DOF, HDRI, soft shadows, GI, real-time previews, etc...) But honestly i can't see why McNeel wants to build two competing engines. A lot of the new features of Flamingo 2 overlap the Toucan features already put into Rhino 4 core. So if i were McNeel, i would drop Flamingo and just install the whole Toucan engine into Rhino. It may not be as good as Maxwell, Brazil, or VRay but having Toucan built in will attract many new users to Rhino... Here is a link to the Flamingo 2 page in case you are interested.

http://www.flamingo3d.com/nr.htm

shorty

mayito7777
18/04/2007, 23h39
Thanks, and I agree with you, but I think that to implement that you will have to raise the price of Rhino 4. Don't you think?

jbshorty
18/04/2007, 23h57
The difference might not be so big. I think the sales of more Rhino liscenses could offset the lost revenue of Flamingo sales. Plus, i think it's a waste of resources to build competing products in the same house. they should focus on building one really good (and fast) engine.

WillBellJr
19/04/2007, 01h56
Well I want to animate around my Rhino models so for me, that means, XSI, Lightwave, Vue Infinite or Carrara 5 Pro.

I'm at 22/25 - two OBJ (NURBS) exports came up blank in XSI, iges came in but all the polysurfaces are seperated and cracks are visible...

Granted, I can go with OBJ (Poly) and that seems to be my only hope but you would think for such a capable modeler, XSI would be on the export list by now - time to raise my voice (and questions) over there...

Granted, I can prolly go LWO or use another format that my Ultimate Unwrap 3D supports and convert that way but that's certainly something that should not be happening in this day and age.

Well after all of this, I should prolly just load back my Rhino v2 and work it out that way cause at the export level, apparently there isn't much difference between the versions (unfortunately :huh: )

-Will

dooki
20/04/2007, 21h36
Hey Sketchy,

Regarding working in one viewport. You do know that you can double click on the top-left tab on any viewport to enlarge it, making it one main view port. Then just double click on it again to go back to one view port.

-Dooki

jbshorty
20/04/2007, 22h39
willbelljr - I've never had a problem exporting OBJ from Rhino. No cracks, no missing objects. Maybe it's your specific mesh settings causing a problem?... There is a new obj importer/exporter in development for Rhino 4 (it is available as a plug-in from the Rhino Labs page). eventually this will evolve into the default exporter. Some details about it:
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/ObjIo.html

dooki - there are some additional ways to make a one-viewport workflow in Rhino 4 (using tabbed viewports, custom viewports, floating viewports, and CTRL+TAB to flip through the main views, assigning hotkeys, etc...). I explained a bit more detail in earlier posts in this thread...

shorty